Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *Technically*.... This was my first case mod...

Default *Technically*.... This was my first case mod...

*Edit-Disclamer* These pics were taken when things were in a bit of a state of dis-repair, as I hadn't driven it in about a year and needed to sell it ASAP. It is, in reality, much cleaner and everything fits much better than it looks below - these dont do it justice. Hopefully I'll be able to convince the current owner to let me take some updated pics sometime soon. */Edit-Disclamer*

I called her "Lil' Red" and she was my baby. Shes a 1999 Dodge Avenger with a MicroATX MB, 2Ghz Proc, 1GB Ram and a 300GB HDD. It was loaded with 3000+ MP3's, Hundreds of Movies, TV Shows, etc, which were all controlled through a winamp add-on called Media Center and my 7" widescreen Xenarc Touchscreen. I had to sell her last year to pay off some debts though, as she was my *fun* car, and I had back surgery and was out of work (most notibly a $3000 debt to my GF so I would feel comfortable proposing to her once a got a new job). The fiberglass front bezel was custom made by me and Bobby, the then-owner of DTC Customs (my In Car Entertainment shop of choice) in Fords, NJ. Lemme know what you think, and ill scour my comp when I get home for more pics, or ask the current owner for a chance to shoot it (as we still talk, and he's a REALLY nice guy.)

-Matt

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Default Re: *Technically*.... This was my first case mod...

Welcome to TBCS. That is one nice car and you did a great job with the modding. The display looks like it came stock with the car.

Quote Originally Posted by xRyokenx View Post
    The display looks like it came stock with the car.
    Thanks, that's the look I was going for. I'm an Architecture student, and have always favored sleek, streamlined designs and plans, and that's what I attempted to pull off here. It should be noted that that being said, the bright orange-sticksoutlikeasorethumb 12" subs in the back were repainted grey to match the carbon fiber cover on the amp, and the carbon fiber trunk and hood (the hood isnt pictured). The car's interior was aslo orignally tan (as you can see via the seatbelt slit in the sub picture), so my painting skills have been honed already.

Kickass. I can't wait to see what else you make.

Thanks, and I appreciate the praise. You can take a look at the components for my new build and give your opinion (please) in my welcome post over in the rookie nook. Thanks again

-Matt

No problem. I actually went and subscribed to that thread a little bit ago. I only skimmed through it as I've been hopping to and from the PC and random chores around the house today but I'll read through it more thoroughly later on tonight.

More pics:

USB & FireWire Cut-outs on the side of the center console: (again, this was taken when the car hadnt been in use for some time... everything fits properly now and screws haven't fallen out.... *d'oh*)

Alcantara headliner goodness:

A close up of Cadence's faux-CF paneling on my amp (there are 3 more of this series in the trunk, but the trunk wasn't to show quality, theyre just secured in there.):

Headunit and Panasonic Slim-line DVD in custom fiberglass panel:

The area I had to work with (with the headunit sitting in the orignal mock-up) Note the orignal interior color and HVAC location. HVAC was relocated to the glove compartment:

More screen Close-Ups (one with DTC's website photochopped in):

Last but not least (though it has nothing to do with the case mod) CF trunk goodness:

Hopefully more soon, we'll see if the current owner will let me see her again. Thanks for looking guys!

ATX Mental Case

That's so tight! I love the slot-load optical drive. The USB ports on the side are pure genius!

I just bought my first car today, a '97 Nissan Sentra. Definitely not as sporty, but it'll get the job done for my needs. How did you wire up all the power? I'm trying to figure out how to get power to two spare Blue cold cathodes that will go under the dash.
    E2180 (2.0ghz) | 2GB DDR2 800 Tracers | 8600GT 256mb | XFX 610i nForce mobo | Lanbox Lite
    Intel Atom 230 - 1.6ghz | 2GB DDR2-667 | 945GCLF Mini-ITX | Apex MI-100 case

If you have the transformer for the cold cathodes then it is easy as your car puts out 12v just like what you would use in the pc. You could just hack up one of those lighter plugs and run the wires to the wires for the transformer. Or run it directly to the battery or a relay or whatever.

The power source is 12v so take your pick how you want to tap into it.

Very nice, I've been wanting to do a nice setup like this in my car. I'll probably try to do something but my current dash doesn't lend itself well to adding a monitor in the center like yours.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy