Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Music Industry's death throes

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

Default The Music Industry's death throes

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/sho...ef=videosearch

Forgive the commercial at the front please.

This video shows how desperate the music industry and their lawyers are now getting.
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

some custom title eh Cannibal23's Avatar

Default Re: The Music Industry's death throes

that is absolutely pathetic. there is no real way to enforce that to start will however i think what they are doing is hoping to play on peoples existing fear of lawsuit from past copywrite infringement cases. essentually if they can make everyone affraid of getting sued over doing something that people have been doing since recordable media has been available to the public, they can shape the market to their needs. by that i mean they can set up web distribution of mp3 or another coded audio file and because everyone is too affraid to make their own they will buy it for fear of getting sued.

now lets get realistic here for a minute. looking at these artists they certainly dont look like they are suffering that much. they spend more in an hour then i could in a month. im not saying stealing music is right, but i think people would feel less comfortable doing it if the money was going somewhere usefull like feeding the poor or something instead of putting another diamond encrusted dog coller on some superstar's pet.
    - The stone knows not why the chistle cleves it
    - The steel knows not why the fire scorches it
    - When thy life is cleft and scorched
    - Curse not thine evil fate
    - Thank the builder for the trials that shape thee.

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

How sad... these guys are just... pathetic... I can't even really think of anything to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal23 View Post
    now lets get realistic here for a minute. looking at these artists they certainly dont look like they are suffering that much. they spend more in an hour then i could in a month. im not saying stealing music is right, but i think people would feel less comfortable doing it if the money was going somewhere usefull like feeding the poor or something instead of putting another diamond encrusted dog coller on some superstar's pet.
    Exactly. And furthermore, anyone who has tried making a living as a musician will tell you that you see very very little profit from CD sales, especially once you've hit the 'big time'. The true money comes from brand recognition and touring. Here's an example: I saw The Rolling Stones on their last tour at one of the smaller venues that they played. This particular stadium held about 25000 people for the event, and the average ticket price that Ticketmaster was charging was ~$300. That's 7.5 million DOLLARS in ticket sales alone. And they had Souvenir Vendors set up about every 200 feet it seemed, selling everything from posters ($5 a piece) to leather flight jackets ($500 a piece). And I'm pretty sure that by the end of the night, there was a pretty good chunk of inventory sold.

My Flickr Stream

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

One of my friends told me that Radiohead put their latest album up for download in mp3 format and said to pay what you think it's worth. About 60% of those that downloaded paid an average of $10-15 for it. Note that this is what he told me and I'm just repeating it as I remember it. Oh yeah, and they were glad that many people who downloaded it are able to listen to their music even though they can't afford to pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by xRyokenx View Post
    One of my friends told me that Radiohead put their latest album up for download in mp3 format and said to pay what you think it's worth. About 60% of those that downloaded paid an average of $10-15 for it. Note that this is what he told me and I'm just repeating it as I remember it. Oh yeah, and they were glad that many people who downloaded it are able to listen to their music even though they can't afford to pay for it.
    Any musician who says that they're in the business for the money is a tool of the industry.

Musicians make music so they can 'connect' (for lack of a better term) with people. There is no price that can be placed on having someone come up to you and say 'Hey man, your music helped me'.

And yes, you can download the Radiohead album for free. Funny thing is, the Offspring did this a few years back with their whole catalog on their website. It was up for about 3 or 4 months until 'the suits' threatened legal action over it. It's a sad state of affairs when an artist can deem their work to be public domain and get threatened to be sued for doing so.

And of course, nothing was said in the news about it. I only know of it because I just happened to look at their website one day and saw for myself.

My Flickr Stream

Both CNN and you guys are all reading something into it that isn't there.
    The actual statement says that "anyone making unauthorized copies", etc, etc, etc.
    Just as with your video games, it is perfectly legal for you to make backup copies of your legally bought and paid for property for your own private use... read your EULA.

That doesn't make news though.

It's the same as with the Jamie Lynn Spears thing. Each and every news agency knows that the father of her baby was within 2 years of her age, and both states where it could have happened have statutes stating 3 years difference or more, and it was all happening with Jamie's mother's consent...
    But every news agency was reporting how he was going to be looked at for statutory rape. Why? Because it makes people read their story.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyse a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects"

Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Ironcat View Post
    The actual statement says that "anyone making unauthorized copies", etc, etc, etc.
    And the music industry is trying to set the legal definition of 'unauthorized' to their definition.

I agree, it's going to hold about as much water as a colander.

And I'm not even going to comment any more than this on the rest of your post for fear of neg reps. I've no respect for any of the Spears clan, and furthermore, who honestly gives half a ****? They're just as human as we are.

My Flickr Stream

Is awesome

The RIAA has been looked at as evil for a while now. By now, everyone understands that the REAL money is the concerts, merchandising and appearances. The artist has never gotten a large amount of the money from records, and they are starting to get even less when it is sold online. "Pirating" an artists music makes for you liking them more and going to the concerts when they roll into town.

But what is an unauthorized copy, anyway? A copy given to your friend, which is music sharing, which has been illegal for ages. And no, the RIAA isn't going to sue anyone for making a hundred copies of a CD and depositing them in every corner of your house. It's the second that you give one of those away that you break the law and the RIAA can go after you.
    You love my sig.

some custom title eh Cannibal23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quakken View Post
    But what is an unauthorized copy, anyway? A copy given to your friend, which is music sharing, which has been illegal for ages. And no, the RIAA isn't going to sue anyone for making a hundred copies of a CD and depositing them in every corner of your house. It's the second that you give one of those away that you break the law and the RIAA can go after you.
    that is exactly my point. i mean that rule has been out since at least tape cassettes were out. so why is it being given such huge attention now? the only reason that i can think of is to use that publicity as a tool to make people who are (youll have to excuse me here) not the brightest, fear the riaa and their law suits over something that is not realisticly enforcable anyways. so why do we threaten people with something that you and i both know is totaly unenforcable?? the only reason i can think of is to instill a fear into people that havent really thought about it.
    - The stone knows not why the chistle cleves it
    - The steel knows not why the fire scorches it
    - When thy life is cleft and scorched
    - Curse not thine evil fate
    - Thank the builder for the trials that shape thee.