Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: C&C Tiberian Sun Temple of NOD

Default C&C Tiberian Sun Temple of NOD

I had some time to brainstorm what casemod to build when I would buy my new PC. Then I came up with the idea to a build Tiberian Sun NOD casemod. So I went on Google and came across a number of nice pictures of the temple of NOD. This person has made a number of graphical images the temple or NOD for the Westwood Company.

When I looked at the images I just HAD to make it.

The Next step was to plan what to do with the design.
    I wanted to add some really nice Features in my mod, never seen before and wanted to build much of the stuff myself.
    As I am an electrical engineer I just had to make most of the electronic designs myself.

I wanted to have a top end PC in this case mod with water cooling systems.
    I first made some templates and did some calculations, from this I came to believe it would be very hard to integrate the water cooling and the PC system into one case because of its inefficient curves.

I then started thinking about making a second mod to place next to the temple.

I came up with another cool building : the obelisk of light.

This building incinerates tanks and units in the game.
    I wanted to place the water cooling systems in this building and create a WORKING laser in it.
    With this laser I want to make some laser shows like projecting the NOD logo in some sort of 3D rotating image.

In their own rights these are 3 big projects to manage but even that was not enough for me some months later when I had most of the shapes cut into foam, I got the idea to make the Tiberian sun flame tank (devils tongue).
    Capable of throwing real flames and grinding stuff to pieces.

This Is how I managed to create 4 big projects into one.
    And to keep this forum fairly readable I tried to split the projects into Pieces.

I hope this will prevent most misunderstanding's, If you have any questions, just ask me and I'll try to explain it the best I can.

It can also take a while before all pages are translated from dutch to English, because I posted all my progress before on GOT
    (first post april 13 2006)
    jdbnsn is helping me with the translations.
    hereby thank you!

I hope you will enjoy the mod !

Temple of NOD updates
    Update 1 - Temple of NOD - december 27 2007 / The first designs, templates and cut outs.
    Update 2 - Temple of NOD - January 10 2007 / further sanding, plastering and making the molds

Obelisk of light updates
    Update 1 - Obelisk of Light - Januari 2 2008 / The first designs, templates, cut outs and molds.

Devil's Tongue Flame Tank updates
    Update 1 - Devil's Tongue Flame Tank - 2 February 2008

Update 2 - Devil's Tongue Flame Tank - 15 april 2008
    Update 3 - Devil's Tongue Flame Tank - 3 june 2009

Default Re: C&C tiberian sun temple of NOD

Awesome! Glad to see you are posting this, I think these folks are going to love the final result. I apologize for not getting the translation done sooner but it's a slow process and the fact that I had it 75% done and lost all my progress makes it hard to get motivated to work on it. I still have it broken up into 8 more files of various sizes and I'll finish the rest asap. Welcome to TBCS!
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Holy crap, I just followed your original link. I can't wait to be able to read about this. Welcome to TBCS!
    My goal in life is to earn enough money to enjoy the lifestyle that my wife and kids do.

Default The beginning: temple of nod

Update 1 - Temple of NOD - december 27 2007

The first designs, templates and cut outs.

I based the design on the above pictures. This had to be done so that it would be a reasonably good computer and the design would not impede it’s functionality. During the designing of the project I encountered the following problems:

• Where do I put the DVD-rom?
    • How high must the building be to accommodate a pc?
    • Where could I use the tower for?
    • Where will I place the components of the computer?

The beginning:

It was time to start on the casemod and not worry about the above problems for the time being. So I will solve the problems at a later stage of the building process. For the material, I wanted to use polyester because almost all forms can be shaped from it. For the DVD-rom problem I had devised a reasonable solution, I would like to attach the inner shell which resides in the front of the mod(the thing which resembles some sort of mouth) to My DVD-rom player.
    Then if you would touch this inner scale, the DVD rom should open so you can load a DVD.

I made the casemod 16cm high, so the whole model must 90x60x16cm (L x W x H) to be proportional . This may be quite large in size, but it will be pretty faithful to the original design.

Since the glue dries rather slow, (12 hours), I could only glue 1 plate per day. This is very slow because most types of foam react very badly to solvents. But anyway, I got started with the tools that I had, these are the tools I used:

-Beer (one of my primary labour agreements )
    -polystyrene foam
    -glue
    -hand-held soldering iron (to slice/melt the foam)
    -serrated loaf knife (thanks mom, now you know where I got that)
    -shack knife

I used the serrated knife to shape this:

The reason I chose the this high density foam is because it’s easy to cut and shape. The bad part is that this it is more expensive than polystyrene foam

Here we have the glue:

All right, we are ready so let’s begin making the first shapes in the material. I placed the plate on the ground and will draw the shapes on this:

Here it is after I have cut out first the plate with the razor along the lines. Then on another plate, I’ll draw the same shape and glue them together.
    In the photo below you can see I glued 4 foam plates, each 4 cm thick on top of each other.
    As you can see that the base of the temple has already been made. So the foam is up to approximately 16 cm thick had trouble difficulty getting the shapes cut.

As you can see have I added extra foam and have not yet cut it to size...especially with the front and the rear. I have used this picture as a good reference of the temple to make sure that the dimensions do not deviate from the original design.

Here I have I used the serrated knife to shape the widest parts of the sides (where it needs to be rounded). And then with the sanding machine I made nice round edges. I haven’t sanded all of the corners down to size yet to leave room for adjustments (It gets easier from there)

When gluing I had forgotten the last piece on the rear top there needs to be a space that fits another structure, but it will still fit. So I cut out the space and glued another piece of foam in the space as you can see.

The hardest part of this free style modeling is to keep the model symmetrical.

I would like to show off my self designed tool here:

This is my soldering iron which hold a metal piece bent into the shape I wish to cut.
    This kind of cutting is one of the things I like about foam.

This youtube movie shows how easy it is to model with this iron

With the sander I grind down all uneven area's on the model, I use fine sanding paper with this foam about P140.

I placed a small scale model on top to compare the shape and see how true to the original I have remained.

I have been sitting here with the soldering iron under the scale model slicing out sections until I get just the right depth. And as well as in-scale, I have also been rounding the edges to see how even it is.

So it looks approximately true to the original shape of the model.

I now remove the scale because this is going to be part of the template (this is much harder than the other parts to keep in correct shape).

Then in the place where the scale I removed even more material keeping nice smooth margins everywhere using the soldering iron in the middle of the outer scale and melted out a small area to match the shape in the drawing...

Here is the model again completely smooth and polished to the texture that was desired.

I have also polished the other side now, in the picture there is the top portion which sits on top, I not exactly sure how I am going to make this. That will still depend a little on the tower.

Here I have glued 3 pieces of foam on top of each other with the intention of cutting out a space here and later fit the temple of NOD tower.

With the soldering iron I have sliced the foam just outside the marked edges of the tower so it will be easier to go back and trim the fine details later.

This picture shows how the shape of the tower will look, it will be a lot thinner when the shaping continues. I don’t know how the top should be made.

END OF The first designs, templates and cut outs. part 1

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

AWESOME! I love the CnC universe. I am definitely gonna be following this mod. +rep

By the way, is the translation pretty accurate?
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

The Temple of Nod has already been done.
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatSatan View Post
    That's okay, there are multiple Doom mods, BF2 mods, R2D2 mods, etc... Everyone does their work differently.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatSatan View Post
    As for that temple, that one is from Tiberium dawn.
    Tiberium sun is its successor.

I think that swedish guy did his job pretty good but I like the Tiberium Sun temple of NOD design better.

@jdbnsn

Yes most translations are pretty good, I needed to do some shifting here and there and there were some typos but its was pretty straight forward.

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

I like the buildings in Tiberium Wars the best...

anywho, on to the mod: I like it so far. I don't care if it's been done before (although admittedly a different generation of NOD was done), I still can't wait to see your approach.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"