Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Western Digital 120GB Passport - RANT!

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Default Western Digital 120GB Passport - RANT!

This damn drive is GARBAGE!!

First off, it comes with a standard USB cable and no external power. My [awesome] Maxtor One Touch has a USB Y-cable so two USB ports can power the drive.

At first the Passport worked, but needed a little cable shaking to get the computer to recognize the drive, but after loading 30GB worth of data it's not recognizing it at all. Worse part is that WD's diagnostic software says that it works fine. They won't honor any part of the warranty if the diagnostic comes back good
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Default Re: Western Digital 120GB Passport - RANT!

I feel ya dogg.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

My dad has a 80GB one i've found sometimes on his PC it'll only work in the back ports directly on the mobo, i think thats because the front ones are only ver 1.1 and not 2.0

I've tried it on 5 different computers and every time it causes everything to freeze. If you pull the plug then everything comes back.
    WH1T3 0U7
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

TGS: I've seen the same issue with external USB hdd's locking the PC.

Vista seems to have huge troubles with them, though XP did the same for one that I was using.

If WD wont warranty it, will the retailer exchange it? If not, you might be hooped for warranty anyways, so open that biznatch up and slave the drive into the PC and run some serious tools on it.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Not trying to belittle your issue, but I have a Passport, and I use it on my Vista system all the time... and I love it.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dexaroni View Post
    Not trying to belittle your issue, but I have a Passport, and I use it on my Vista system all the time... and I love it.
    Same here.

Sorry about your passport TGS, maybe its a bad one?
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

I got rid of my floppy disks Xpirate's Avatar

I have a 40 GB passport drive. It works okay on most computers. However, I had one that it would not work with at all. It was a software problem because I recently gave that computer to someone else who put a fresh install of XP on it, and it reads the drive just fine now. I extensively jacked with the registry to try and make it work. The fresh install fixed that problem and lots of other little problems I had with the machine.

It must be the drive itself. When I first received it, it worked fine and let me save about 30GB worth of data. It just annoys me now because "My Computer" sees it, but won't let me open it to access any of the files. I have copies of all of those files elsewhere so no big deal. When I ran WD's diagnostic tool it said it was working fine. I might crack it open and use it as a normal drive. It's just a laptop HD inside right? I'm at a loss. At this point I just don't care.
    WH1T3 0U7

I got rid of my floppy disks Xpirate's Avatar

You should try it on another XP machine before you crack it open. I managed to get my bad install of XP to see it with "my computer," but I could not read or write to it.