Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 256gb Ssd! Wow

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Default Re: 256gb Ssd! Wow

SSD's have better heat and vibration resistance which make them more durable. They are also silent and and use very little power and therefore make less heat. What more can you want? When the prices are reasonable I will get one for my rig and do a fresh Vista install on it and then load critical software and games on it. I will use my current SATA drive for movies, music, pics etc.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

Greco101

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatSatan View Post
    Ain't worth the price. I'll just get Gigabyte i-Ram instead.
    I'm pretty sure those can only hold 4x1gb sticks.

Link to the Gigabyte i-Ram booting windows. Mmmmm

EDIT:Here's a video of a computer rebooting with the Gigabyte I-Ram card. This is a PCI card that runs up to 4 DDR DIMMs with an onboard battery to keep the contents saved for up to 16 hours while the PC is powered off.

^ wtf? lol... power goes out while your out of town, gotta reload windows? Lame.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Would this video be a good representation of your guys experiences?

http://video.i4u.com/ces.php?url=ces/hdd-vs-ssd.wmv&p=3

or maybe this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJMGAdpCLVg

I can't wait until they are affordable!
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Greco101

If they ever are.

Quote Originally Posted by Greco101 View Post
    If they ever are.
    Well, if enough companies can justify the price tags of these drives, which to my knowledge they have been, then more and more companies will start producing SSD drives. That alone will make them cheaper. What company that is able to make these drives would not want to get on this action of 4k for a measly drive? The bigger companies, which there are a lot of, are going to want to spend money on research for bigger and better drives. So they can have the "next best SSD". Which results in the "past best SSD" becoming cheaper. Once that goes around enough times to the point where they are maybe not totally affordable like HDD's are now, but much more affordable than SSD's are now, then their sales will start to rocket up. Then there is no stopping them from becoming affordable like HDD's are now, its just a matter of time. How much time? I have no idea. Depends on how large the market is now and how large it would be if they did push for affordability by average users like us. Which, btw, who on earth would not want one of these drives?? There is most definitely a market for SSD by average users, which brings me to...

The only plausible thing I can see that would stop these drives from ever becoming mainstream for us, is the cost to make them. So does anyone know how much these cost compared to the cost of current "regular" hdd's?
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Well considering you can get 4GB USB flash drives for $50-80AUD I would say that the cost isn't that astronomical to make SSDs. Wouldn't it cost more to manufacture all those platters in normal HDDs?

Quote Originally Posted by The boy 4rm oz View Post
    Well considering you can get 4GB USB flash drives for $50-80AUD I would say that the cost isn't that astronomical to make SSDs. Wouldn't it cost more to manufacture all those platters in normal HDDs?
    My thoughts exactly. This isn't new technology, its old technology with a new twist. The twist is the tough part, but really, it can't be much tougher than hard drives that use platters right?

We had RAM, then from that we got Flash Drives, from that we got SSD's. To not make SSD's mainstream would be not only counterproductive, but why would you not? The only thing that is expensive about them to make right now, is the research. Which they are spending on anyways, for platter hard drives. So once they got the research down for the most part, its smooth sailing from there really.

I just can't imagine these not becoming the new standard for HDD's.

Personally I believe we have come to the limits of standard HDD research. We are starting to get 1TB drives now and I think we shouldn't push it any further, I don't think we can go any further. The fastest HDDs to data are the Western Digital Raptors spinning at 10,000rpms. This is the fastest we can make out drives and due to them being so fast you only can get 150GB out of them. SSDs are faster than Raptors and have already been tested with capacitys greater than any WD Raptor has. I am all for SSDs and the only thing I am waiting for is a reasonable price. I only want to get a 150-200GB one and I am only willing to pay $200AUD for it. Only time will tell.

I feel the same for the most part. We are either at, or close to, our limits for _standard_ HDD's. I mean sure, we can go a little further I'm sure, but not much in my opinion. Which is why I think SSD's are our future. They are better than HDD's in every way, price being put aside of course.

What company would not invest into the future? Not only that, but a very desirable future. The end of HDD's is only the beginning of SSD's too. Put some of your HDD research costs towards SSD's and make up your losses with the current prices. Which is why the current prices are so high, so companies can cover their losses from push the research. At least, thats my opinion and knowledge of how it works, I might be wrong though.

The best part in my mind about SSD's, is the fact that these are just the first ones to be released into the market. Just look at RAM, we have DDR, then we had DDR2, now we have DDR3! Right now, we are at the DDR stage in my book. With all the technology out there right now, we are sure to rocket to the DDR2 stage pretty quickly at the very least.

Can you imagine a Terabyte SSD that is twice as fast as the fastest HDD? or even twice as fast as the current SSD! How freaking awesome would that be! lol

Your right, that would be awesome. I completely agree with you, all the manufacturers have to do is invest a bit more cash in research and it would be a lot better for them in the long run and the consumers. I can see SSDs becoming larger (capacity wise) and cheaper but I can't see us getting to the 320GB or 500GB stage until the last half/quarter of 2008. When we hit this mark I will truly be interested in purchasing an SSD.