Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Internet trouble...

Default Internet trouble...

I'll be searching the internet, then all of a sudden my dsl needs to acquire a network address and it will do this for maybe 20secs-1 min. This stops all my downloads, and my searching. any suggestions.

Default Re: Internet trouble...

your helpdesk request has been noted but we will need further details to begin diagnosis

please describe your setup - hardware/software and isp, will help us tonnes right now. It could be anything from a faulty cable or a problem with your router or issues at your DP, or...well.. anything, hell i've seen people wiggling their feet under the desk causing network dropouts.

also, are the problems regular or random, how often do you drop out, once a min or once an hour.....does it happen at certain times of the day or all day,

i'm sure between 'us' (everyone here) the problem will get sorted but you have kinda done the IT equivalent of walking into the doctors and saying "I hurt. Any suggestions doc?"

I have a speed stream modem which then goes to my switch. From the switch it goes to my computer, ps3, and ps2. My isp is just a local provider. It happens at any time just random. Maybe I need tot check my cable...

some custom title eh Cannibal23's Avatar

make sure all cables are seccure first. most likely they are but check anyways. if the switch and modem is in sight of your computer then the next time it fails look at the lights on the front of them. tell us what lights are on or flashing on the modem. it could be your modem or switch is rebooting for whatever reason. if you can deal with your ps3 and ps2 being disconnected from the net for a while, remove the switch from your setup and plug directly into the modem. see if the problem still happens. if so then we know the switch isnt the issue. beyond that or the cables it could be a bad driver or a failing network card in your pc. do you have the most recent drivers for your network card installed?
    - The stone knows not why the chistle cleves it
    - The steel knows not why the fire scorches it
    - When thy life is cleft and scorched
    - Curse not thine evil fate
    - Thank the builder for the trials that shape thee.

you reset your modem/switch since the trouble started? may be worth a shot, failing that......

next time your conection drops out see if you can ping google from command prompt;

in case that's jibberish follow these steps

start-> run -> enter "cmd" and hit enter -> at command prompt type "ping google.com" then hit enter

you'll probably fail to make a connection but it's worth a shot, if ping fails, at command prompt type

"tracert google.com" then hit enter

and you will see where you connection breaks down, from ip addresses you should be able to establish where that is

from past experience if my i-net drops out randomly for random amounts of time its an issue ISP or between my home and the 'www' not inside my home. if that is the caese, I'd contact them and see if they know of any problems,(some even have a website to announce it which is a fat lot of good if you cant get on the net!) Often they dont know there is a problem till someone tells them

hope that helps

It sounds like you are losing dsl connectivity so a hardware fault somewhere along the line between the exchange and the modem or a fault with your modem is the likeliest problem. Could be some engineer in the telephone exchange kicked the head-end modem and there's a lose wire there. I'd also ask your ISP/telephone provider to investigate as well as checking that all the internal wiring to your house is good.

DSL connectivity can be dropped by interference on the phone line also. If you have any other phones connected to that line, try to unplug them temporarily and see if that solves your disconnection issue. Cordless phones can cause troubles too.

Do you have a router, or just a switch?

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

So I checked the cables, they're fine. I'll try to see what lights are on when it fails next time. I also do have cordless phones. They also did fix my phone line a while ago...

dsl light=on
    act=blinking
    enet=on
    this when the problem was occuring.

Quote Originally Posted by Needsleep View Post
    you reset your modem/switch since the trouble started? may be worth a shot, failing that......

next time your conection drops out see if you can ping google from command prompt;

in case that's jibberish follow these steps

start-> run -> enter "cmd" and hit enter -> at command prompt type "ping google.com" then hit enter

you'll probably fail to make a connection but it's worth a shot, if ping fails, at command prompt type

"tracert google.com" then hit enter

and you will see where you connection breaks down, from ip addresses you should be able to establish where that is

from past experience if my i-net drops out randomly for random amounts of time its an issue ISP or between my home and the 'www' not inside my home. if that is the caese, I'd contact them and see if they know of any problems,(some even have a website to announce it which is a fat lot of good if you cant get on the net!) Often they dont know there is a problem till someone tells them

hope that helps
    This is also going to be hard to do since it happens for only about 30 seconds on average unexpectedly. I might run out of time.