Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast

Thread: Project : Deuce

Default Re: Project : Deuce

Yeah, well, my shoes/feet seem to bring a lot of enjoyment... No clue why! When I was working on BOSS, I had another forum in stitches because of a shot of my feet... I mean they are big and all...

Guess that they will be like "Where's Waldo?" or something like that... throw them in from time to time.

Custom Title Honors Liquid_Scope_99's Avatar

looking good man

I got my acrylic cut this weekend. I have a bit of cleaning up of the laser cuts, more later... iI am exhausted....

Good evening everyone... just got myself settled after a weekend meeting with the AustinModders (www.austinmodders.com), great to see all you guys again!

While down there, one of the big pieces of this mod came to me.... to say that I am happy would be a severe understatement!

This is 1/4" transparent blue acrylic... that I had lasered to be the rad stand.
    This shot is simply to give you a little depth on the color... it really is striking!

These are pieces that were the centers of flame licks.

The whole cut:

And several more shots after I got home:

I have 98% of these flames cut. Due to the thickness of the material, and the density, some of the laser cuts did not make it all the way through. They are only a few places, but due to the delicate and intricate nature of this cut, it is absolutely essential that I have all of the cuts completed and not hanging as I pull the negative parts of the cut out. I have a plan where I will use an intricate engraver bit on my flexi-shaft Craftsman rotary tool, and use that to complete the cut from the back side of the piece. That way, if I do have a minor scratch, it will not be on the surface of the acrylic.

I have to take this moment to publically thank the person who cut this for me. A good friend that chooses to remain confidential, but they spent almost a full 10 hours cutting this. Only after the cutting had started, did we realize that the density of the material combined with the power of the laser... was going to lead to a Looooong manufacture time. *tips hat* Those that know this person, please quietly nod your head, but do not give his identity away.

After I get both frames removed, my next "impossible* task is to get it bent to the form I want without damaging it... something that many are skeptical I can do! Might even be "crazy" for trying... but that is what I am. I have 2 of these to try and make work. if they do not work, then I have to find another way to execute the vision! Wish me luck!

I'll post up pics of the rad stands after I have them removed.

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Very very nice cuts, congratz anonymous man. Can't wait to see it bent and with the paper off.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

dude... gl on bending that shizz xDDD i really hope you can do it:p (fingers crossed)
    is that a 120.9 raddy on your case, or are you just happy to see me?

METO V.1
    METO V.2
    METO V.3
    PC-Beto
    Project M8 [WIP]

Hehehehe.... you and me both!

I have a rabidly fun idea that *might* just let me get this stuff to bend how I want it...
    *maniacal laughter ensues....*

*finally* had both time and weather!

Acrylic is not something I like to muck with when it is pretty cold... I feel like it makes it more brittle. Might be just me, but if I am going to be working with my only 2 copies of my rad stand, I'm taking every precaution, real or likewise... that could make the flames unexpectedly snap....

Well, this last week was busy, then I got clipped with a cold, and that yanked the batteries for about 3 days. Feeling a bit better, the weather warmed up... so I put in a few hours in the garage!

Using a combination of bits, I slowly and carefully worked my way around the acrylic, sometimes using a fine tipped engraving bit, other times using a reinforced wheel... and I started making progress"

I had to put a light underneath the acrylic to make out the cuts that were completely through, and then focus on the areas that were still hung.

Some of the chunks coming off...

Here you can see how I was using the light to path the cuts:

Ohhhhh daaaaamn.... almost there!!!

3 hours later, the 1st one if free!!!!

No broken flames, everything successfully released! I have a bit of careful filing and some polishing to do, but otherwise... HELL YEAH!!!!!

now.. add into this wonderful weekend of success, my wife opted to give me my birthday presents early (Later this month on the 21st) and she landed a 22" wide screen LCD on my lap today! Also got me an MP3 player so that I can listen to tunez while I work out! (I have *got* to get into better shape!)

So.... I'm ecstatic this weekend!

That flame cutout looks amazing! I wouldn't have the heart to try to bend it. Good Luck!
    My goal in life is to earn enough money to enjoy the lifestyle that my wife and kids do.

omg... +rep!
    is that a 120.9 raddy on your case, or are you just happy to see me?

METO V.1
    METO V.2
    METO V.3
    PC-Beto
    Project M8 [WIP]