Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Thread: Project : Deuce

Default Re: Project : Deuce

this is well cool, kinda like "pimp my comp" the blue looks sooo good in the sunlight

I don't know how I missed this log, but I'm glad I found it. +rep.

lmao when I saw this:

First thing through my mind was modders' Christmas decorations, maybe for the tree next year.......
    My goal in life is to earn enough money to enjoy the lifestyle that my wife and kids do.

Yeaaaaaah.... nothing says "Geek over the edge" quite like blue painted parts hanging off the gutters... dontcha think?

Thanks guys!

I have *finally* come to the decision that I made that mess of blue acrylic... and I will have nothing to show for it.

So, I sat down for a few hours and taught myself some stuff in photoshop, and Corel Draw...

And came up with a file that I can use to cut what I was trying like hell to create manually (without much success mind you!)

I'm going to show you guys here what I'm up to... and *hopefully* in a week or two, I'll have the acrylic cut, shaped and looking like I hope it will. My main concern is going to be strength, and will the thin spots hold up.... I dunno. I've never done this before! Matter of fact, I don't think anyone has done this before... so, there may be a reason this has "not been done before"...

So... keeping in mind that this is going to be cut through 1/4" transparent blue acrylic...

The rad will be supported by 4 legs, one for each corner. My plan is to have the rad further back on the top of the case, and the front legs actually at an angle progressing from the leading edge of the top, up and back to the rad.

Most all of the flames will be heated and bent.

The long side between the front and back legs will be bent down to the side and bottom edge of the long side of the 240 rad these will adorn. Those flames will actually wrap under the rad and lick around the fans on the underside, providing a set of supports for the rad to rest in. The ends will be heated to fold down and encapsulate the rad.

There will be no screws holding this together, the rad will be completely wrapped in acrylic flames and held in by the heating and bending of the flames to make them hold the rad in place.... that is my plan at least!

The legs will wrap through the hole I cut in the top, and then bend into a bracket that I am in the process of designing. I am hoping to keep this whole attachment mechanism screwless and clean.

There are plans to light this thing with LED's, but due to the density of the material, I've been having a bit of an issue getting good results illuminating the material... but if I can get the edges polished properly, then the light will hopefully flow from the edges....

but this is what I have been working on, and I think I am really, close to having 1 or 2 to prototype with and see if it will work!

Wish me luck! I've also got my sons pinewood derby happening tomorrow, and I need to wrap up on the weights in that car tomorrow... WHEEEEE!!! Lots of garage time over the past few weeks! And I've almost got something to show for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Tech-Daddy View Post
    Yeaaaaaah.... nothing says "Geek over the edge" quite like blue painted parts hanging off the gutters... dontcha think?
    LMAO

Good luck with the 'old school flames' bracket.

edit: also good luck with the pinewood derby, just googled it- looks like fun.

Well... son came in 2nd on the Derby last week! Thanks for the well wishes! He came up with a really good design!

Now, on to this update... First time in a long time that a weekend has rolled around that was not :
    1) Too cold to paint
    2) Too humid to paint
    3) Too busy with family
    4) Too busy with work

Well... those things were not in the works on Sunday! Yay!

Got some time to go clean my neglected airbrush and try to fix it... and got it working much better! I still have a minor hanging issue with it... but it will get better and I continue to work on it.

So, after cleaning, I sprayed black over the 1st set of flames that I experimented with, and tried v2.

Came up with this:

Not bad, for my second time *ever* working on laying out flames freehand. I learned a lot. And will apply it to the next panel I experiment with. Hopefully I'll get back out there in the garage this week, and spray some more while the knowledge is fresh in my head.

I know it aint pro... it was more a concept for color and application. Was not intended to be smooth, as the layer I painted over on the bottom was not smooth, and I got some stuff on my french curcves that attached itself to the surface of the panel... no biggie.

But these pics have 2 layers of clear to allow me to see what paint would show after the CC process....

Learning more and more each time. Commando, thank you for your site... I am spending a lot of time on your videos and tips. Excellent stuff!!

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Flames look awesome dude, great work.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

Well.... beautiful weather... combined with some time in the garage... equals....

3rd attempt.

I'm starting to plan out how the flames will be on the panel, so I was simulating the curve of the blue graphic...

here is what I plopped down tonight.

I think I figured out what I was doing wrong from the previous 2, and made this one better, but I just thought of something that I did that caused a lot of my overspray, and I'm going to go out and rectify that tonight. Might be a v4 if I can get my equipment cleaned up and re-racked for the 4th attempt.

Getting closer!

More later!

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Very nice work.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

yeah looks good m8!... the decorations is veddy nice also xDDD
    is that a 120.9 raddy on your case, or are you just happy to see me?

METO V.1
    METO V.2
    METO V.3
    PC-Beto
    Project M8 [WIP]