Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PSU cable mangament easy first time mod

Default PSU cable mangament easy first time mod

hi all this will be my first tutorial ill be using come uv reactive sheathing and heat shrink with some new uv reactive molex plugs to tidy up my messy wiring. also adding 3 80mm uv fans to my uv case.

this is my case at the moment im awaiting parts to come from many suppliers
    heres a list of wat i have on order

2 meters of red and 2 meters of yellow 11mm/6mm sheathing and 1 meter of green 16/10 mm sheath i did order a little to much but least i have some spare i may also sell this psu when im done if anyone likes it as ill be doing another tutorial on making modular PSU
    50 male and 50 female molex pins as i will be shortening some cables a removale tool for the pins
    3 x 80 mm fans uv one for the top front and rear of my case
    10 green uv male molex plugs
    10 uv blue female molex plugs
    and a uv reactive blue powersupply connector kit
    plus some red heat shrink
    my plan is to power the top fan my dvd drive and the front fan off one 12v line and the 2 drives and rear fan off another sheathed in red
    the power to mother board via 24 pin plug will be using the larger green sheathing and the cpu fan and other 4 pin mother board connector will be in yellow along with the wires which go to the power and reset buttons on the front and the dvd drive sound cable back to the mother board. i ordered it all on thursday and as it is now the weekend in australia i wont get it all till at least monday im going to upgarde to sata drives soon to elimate the old ide calbes so this mod to the psu is only a temp thing as ill need to get a bigger PSU when i get the sata drives and my dream mother board
    EVGA 680i SLI Motherboard 122-CK-NF68-A1
    linky

Default Re: PSU cable mangament easy first time mod

I couldnt get not having parts stop me from working today its raining out side and have nothing better to do so i thought id start by shortening the cpu fan cable as it is miles to long when the fan plug is like 2 inches away excuse the pictures my cam isnt so good on close up shots i need to work out how to use the macro feauture.

all i did was use some tape to measure where id need the plug to end and cut the wires and striped the insulation back on both ends put some heat shrink on and soldered the wires back together and applied some heat i know its not a huge thing and no one would eva notice i did anything to it but hey its a start to making it look less messy

fan removed from cpu

fan with longgggggggggg cable on it

measured where the plug needed to be

wires cut and soldered together

fan installed back in computer turned on and it still worked

good news uv sheathing turned up today but the molex plugs and heat shrink havent so i couldnt do all that much i did manage to sheath the 4 pin plug o the mother board. when i get teh uv plugs and some big heatshrink ill take the plug off put heat shrink on and replace the new plug.
    1. dissconnected all the psu cables
    2. marked which wire goes where on the plug and got a rough length for the plug as i shortened the cable.
    3. removed psu from computer and took cover off separated the wires i need from the bundle of wires
    4. removed the plug and cut cables to size made a mistake here and soldered all cables in teh one area so i have a big buldge in one part of it but i learnt from my mistake and have been showed how to offset them now.
    5. cut some sheath to size and sliped it on replaced plug and put a cable tie close to the plug and slowly worked the cable tightly to the end inside the psu and plut another cable tie inside (i used fluro yellow one near the plug to make it look good till i get heathshrink and plan jane black one inside the psu).
    NOTE on the pcb inside i noticed a spot for another fan i have a 80 mm fan i test fitted about the heat sink and fits perfect so ill be putting that in some time during this tut.
    also had to use my camera phone as old bloke had the good camera the close up pics are blurry.
    tell me what u think guys

Pics are a lil fuzzy, but good job. All my cables are managed. But there in one big clump
    CPU: Pentium IV 2.67 G
    Board: GIGA GA-8PE800PRO
    Memory: KINGSTON 256MB 266Mhz DDR x2
    Video Card: ASUS GF2 MX400 64MB
    HDD: SEAGATE 80GB BARRACUDA 7200.7
    Case: ENLIGHT P4 MIDI TOWER CASE
    Power Supply: *NEW* CORSAIR HX-520W!!
    Cooling: AIR
    Operating System: MS XP

Quote Originally Posted by cured View Post
    Pics are a lil fuzzy, but good job. All my cables are managed. But there in one big clump
    that was taken with my phone camera ill get the good camera and do some update shots

just another update i installed another fan im my psu today it was my first time usen a dremel btw so its not round and not to good looking but i have ordered a new fan grill and i think ill paint her up now also i received the new uv molex plugs and fans and new pins today so im about to go back out and start working again
    tell me what u think so far guys
    wasnt to hard i just marked out where i wanted it drill 4 holes and centered them holes tryed to use a hole saw but it was no good had to try my luck at the dremel. than wired her up put some heat shrink on and removed all the stickers ready to paint after i finished sheathing.

received my sheathing and bit today it was missing the heat shrink i ordered so i had to go buy some more. i ordered i fan grill jsut a plane one to cover that hole i cut but i will be trying to make it as round as possible. anyway i have finished the sheathing except the main 20 pin to the motherboard it was getting late and i need to put a post up.
    1 shorten cables to length
    2 put sheathing on and cable tied off in psu sliped on some heat shrink over sheath
    3 wired up plugs usen the new pins i got and uv plugs
    4 tightened sheath but pulling slack out than sliped heat shrink over the end of sheath and over the cables going into the plug, used a hair dryer to shrink it down. repeated the same process for all plugs, when i get some larger heat shrink ill take the plugs off where two cables joina nd put it over both plugs so they are nice and neat. i also got 3 uv fans today ill be sheathing them and plutting uv male plugs on them tonight or tomorrow arvo perhaps.
    tell me what you all think of the job so far any comments ? btw is it possible this is in the wrong spot or is no one showing any interest .

looks great, not sure i would want all those colours, but thats just me .

+rep for the nice work though.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Quote Originally Posted by Spawn-Inc View Post
    looks great, not sure i would want all those colours, but thats just me .

+rep for the nice work though.
    yeah it was more of experience thing for now i would have had blue and green sheath but yeh i still have to get the motherboard power down and fix up the psu hole maybe get some led bue fans for the psu than i got some fluro green paint and a fan grill to come than ill be selling it
    thanks for the rep btw thats my first eva rep point

one more update for the day i sheathed all teh new fans i got and (roughly) put them in i didnt have any bolts so i used skewers to get the general idea tell me what u think.
    the fans werent very hard at all just cut to lengthput some sheath on and heat shrink the end near the fan first put some new molex pins on and put the new connector on and heat shrink over that end