Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: Watercooling Problems...

Default Re: Watercooling Problems...

Yeah I was debating that, but decided to go parallel so that the pressure would be the same throughout, if I made is 1/2" to 3/8" and then 3/8" to 1/2" wouldn't that change speeds? I bought the adjustable t's so that I don't need to buy 1/2" to 3/8" adapters, I can just block one of the t's so that it's the same thing. (I can also make them 1/2" to 1/2" or any other size combination if I needed 1/4" or something.)

Yeah, I learned my mistake with the rad, so that will definitely be a future change. It wasn't bad to fill it up, I didn't let the pump run with nothing going through it of course. I basically filled the top, tipped it to the dual 120mmrad, and tipped that water to the lower line, where the pump is, then refilled the top, did another tip, and was good to go.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm really curious about that 1/2" to 3/8" issue.
    EDIT: is 40C bad for the NB?

40C is fine for temps for the n/b. mine is at 45C on air with stock cooling with the fan at 50%

you might have been better off with some Y's or F's instead of T's

like this, Swiftech-F-Fittings accept stupid swiftech only makes 1/2" that split off to 1/4" so it's kinda pointless.

as for the 1/2, 3/8 thing i am looking some stuff up and should have a answer relativity soon.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Your NB temps are pretty much the same as mine, the flow on yours will be lower because of how you looped it like spawn said but it's taking warm water from the GPU to it. As yours is a X38, i suspect it to be hotter than a P35 in my Blitz and if so it's still pretty cool, you have to remember that Fusion block it isn't really the highest of all quality blocks.

My loop is 1/2", except where it has to go into the NB, so im probably loosing flow because of it as mine is all in series. But my temps aren't too bad, they aren't the best in the world, but my Quad has a crap load of volts, the NB is coping with a nice FSB and the GTX is putting a nice amount of heat in to the loop at it's clocks.

And are those CPU temps a Q6600? IF so is it at stock or what?
    Last edited by Scotty; 01-18-2008 at 09:05 AM.

Right now it's all at stock. I'm having some weird problems with my video card (that I've had since I've purchased it) so I might OC this system a little before sending the card back to XFX to get it checked out.

Here's my explanation for the split, and 'T's:
    Originally I did look into 'F's and Y's, but I couldn't find any Y's that went from 1/2" to dual 3/8"s, and like you already mentioned the F's are useless unless it's specifically for swiftech stuff.

Second, I did a little math work. A single 1/2" diameter tube has an area of:
    (1/2")/2 = 1/4 this is the radius
    (1/4)^2*pi = area
    area = .196

Dual 3/8" tubes have a TOTAL area of:
    (3/8")/2 = 3/16 this is the radius of ONE tube
    (3/16)^2*pi = area of ONE = .110
    area * 2 = area of both
    area of both = .220

.220/.196 is roughly 12%, which means that having 1/2" to dual 3/8" tubes drops the pressure/speed by 12%. They are so close to being the same.

Next, the motherboard tubes look very small, definitely not 3/8" tubes, they're tiny metal pipes. If the pressure is too high going in there, which I have heard high flow systems have had, the tubes could just pop off and I would be left with a destroyed computer. So basically what I did was I made an "offramp" for excess water. I'm not too concerned with the NB/SB since it cant cool itself normally without watercooling, so the watercooling is just a bonus. Also, the outflow from the 'T' where the two 3/8" tubes reconnect give the 1/2" no pressure differences, allowing for the whole system to be unaffected by the motherboard loop. (also the motherboard hose connectors are so close together that I can't use real clamps, I have to trust ASUS with they're ones.)

How's that sound? It convinced me!

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    you have to remember that Fusion block it isn't really the highest of all quality blocks.
    not sure what you mean there, they are the number 1 block for quads ATM...

Quote Originally Posted by isunktheship View Post
    Right now it's all at stock. I'm having some weird problems with my video card (that I've had since I've purchased it) so I might OC this system a little before sending the card back to XFX to get it checked out.

Here's my explanation for the split, and 'T's:
    Originally I did look into 'F's and Y's, but I couldn't find any Y's that went from 1/2" to dual 3/8"s, and like you already mentioned the F's are useless unless it's specifically for swiftech stuff.

Second, I did a little math work. A single 1/2" diameter tube has an area of:
    (1/2")/2 = 1/4 this is the radius
    (1/4)^2*pi = area
    area = .196

Dual 3/8" tubes have a TOTAL area of:
    (3/8")/2 = 3/16 this is the radius of ONE tube
    (3/16)^2*pi = area of ONE = .110
    area * 2 = area of both
    area of both = .220

.220/.196 is roughly 12%, which means that having 1/2" to dual 3/8" tubes drops the pressure/speed by 12%. They are so close to being the same.

Next, the motherboard tubes look very small, definitely not 3/8" tubes, they're tiny metal pipes. If the pressure is too high going in there, which I have heard high flow systems have had, the tubes could just pop off and I would be left with a destroyed computer. So basically what I did was I made an "offramp" for excess water. I'm not too concerned with the NB/SB since it cant cool itself normally without watercooling, so the watercooling is just a bonus. Also, the outflow from the 'T' where the two 3/8" tubes reconnect give the 1/2" no pressure differences, allowing for the whole system to be unaffected by the motherboard loop. (also the motherboard hose connectors are so close together that I can't use real clamps, I have to trust ASUS with they're ones.)

How's that sound? It convinced me!
    hmm, seems you have done more math research that i first though. 40 is a fine temp for n/b and like you said it can go air (maybe add a side fan to blow over the fins for more cooling, if your worried) and water is just a bonus.

here is a thread i started at ocforums, they have some w/c guru's there.

the 2 people who replied both said put it in series, but things are fine and i more so brought this whole thing up for a next time or if you get a new piece of hardware.
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Quote Originally Posted by Spawn-Inc View Post
    not sure what you mean there, they are the number 1 block for quads ATM...
    No Doofus.

The Asus block is called Fusion.

The Dtek FuZion, is an awesome block.

Get it right Spawn!

Thanks for making that post there, I'll bookmark that! Next time I'm in there I might switch it over, I'm also going to be posting on that new thread too!

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    No Doofus.

The Asus block is called Fusion.

The Dtek FuZion, is an awesome block.

Get it right Spawn!
    oohh i thought you were talking cpu blocks, mybad.

Good news, I slapped a low speed 120mm fan on the bottom of my case, and the NB temps shot down from 38 to 31C. It's very quiet, and does the job.

One thing I'll keep in mind when buying 120's next time is that if you get a highspeed 120, and you turn it down, which simulates a low speed fan, you get this obnoxious electrical sound, it's a buzz/hum.

If I turn all of my high speed fans to low it sounds like my computer is a struggling electric motor. Turn them off, it's silent, turn them up and it's a little loud. I might replace the high speeds with medium/low, since turning up the fans doesn't do a TON for the cooling, just as long as air is going through.