Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Watercooling Problems...

Default Watercooling Problems...

I finally put my watercooling system into my computer, and I do have a few errors with the way it's hooked together, but I still don't think that can explain the temperatures I'm looking at...

Here are my stats:
    CPU: Intel 6300 1.86Ghz
    GPU: XFX 7900GT (this board got discontinued... wonder why)
    MEMORY: OCZ DDR2 800mhz (has heatsinks)
    PSU: Rosewill 600WATTS (should be enough)
    MOBO: Asus p5n32 deluxe (solid as a rock)

After booting up speedfan I got these temperatures:
    HD0: 31C (HARD DRIVE)
    HD1: 31C (HARD DRIVE)
    CORE0: 51C (CPU CORE)
    CORE1: 51C (CPU CORE)
    TEMP2: 37C (MOBO)
    TEMP1: 37C (MOBO)
    CORE: 55C (GPU)

I'm completely blown away by this... it's really hot! My GPU is that temperature all the time, XFX had problems with the card and other versions were released, but ultimately all of that specific model were discontinued (lucky me, I know why). I bought a few more 120mm fans just to see if I can blow the warm air out faster, butt nothing is really working. Here is a picture/diagram of the case:

There are two problems, that I am aware of;
    1.) The radiator is upside-down, not sure how big of a deal this is though... does it affect heating?
    2.) Only warm air is being brought through it (especially since it is right above a 55C GPU, and almost leaning on my mobo heatsinks.

So here are my questions;
    1.) If I move the radiator to another spot in my case, lets say the front, where it would be pulling in fresh cool air, would that have a noticeable CPU temp impact? (I would still have a 120mm in that same spot pulling warm air out.
    2.) Where else would be an acceptable place to put it? I have a place to put it on the top of my case, and one on the floor.
    3.) How can I solve the GPU heat issue?? NOTHING in my PC is overclocked.
    4.) What temps should I be seeing when idle?

Any other ways I can get lower temperatures? I have a 120 on the rear, a 120 on the front, and 3 120's lying around to put in, as I said before though I put them on the side of my case and nothing really happened. If you would like more pics let me know!

Gaming Console Modder Mitternacht's Avatar

Default Re: Watercooling Problems...

stupid question, but is there a fan on your radiator? Cause it don't look like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky
    I never like get into a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

your rad is fine upside down and i would add a second (i assume you have one on the otherside) fan to the rad as said above. i also take it your video card is not watercooled and hence its hot with stock cooling. my 8600GT was about 53C at idle with all stock cooling so i changed out the thermal paste and added a second fan over the stock one and it now sits at about 48C. as for the cpu that seems high with watercooling what fans do you have on it(rad)?
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    stupid question, but is there a fan on your radiator? Cause it don't look like it.
    Don't worry, not a stupid question, the 120mm fan is hidden behind the rad!

Quote Originally Posted by Spawn-Inc View Post
    my 8600GT was about 53C at idle with all stock cooling so i changed out the thermal paste and added a second fan over the stock one and it now sits at about 48C. as for the cpu that seems high with watercooling what fans do you have on it(rad)?
    I just have the one 120mm fan there, and since it's sucking warm air through the grill it does make sense that it would be warmer than normal. I need to get some more thermal paste, but when I had a 120mm fan blowing right on it the temp didn't change much.

A lot of people put their radiators here, but it's not really a great place, the back of the computer is where the inner heat has to go.

you should move the rad to the outside of the back and that way the fan will push air through the rad and not pull. what is the CFM rating for the fan? should have at least 70 or more.
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Yeah I would have done that, but the fan bumps out, so I'd first have to buy the adapter, and then put two holes in the case for the water cooling tubes to go out to the radiator.

Some versions of my case do have the holes, my roommates for instance does, and it's the same case, I wasn't fortunate .

New plan, the radiator will go at the front of my case, I have about 5 free slots where I'm going to mount the radiator and fan. The fan will be pushing air through the radiator into the case, which means that the radiator gets the coolest air possible. I'm going to mount it using industry strength velcro, which is what DD recommends.

I don't reaaally like the idea of things not being screwed together, are there any vertical 120mm fan holders for 5 1/2" drives? This way I can have the fan all screwed in tight, and attach the rad to something sturdy.

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Don't worry, the pass through holes are easy to cut for tubing, just make sure you use grommets on th holes to stop them cutting your tubing.

Those temps do seem high especially if it is just a CPU. On stock air cooling and Arctic Silver 5 my C2D E6600 sits around 50*c, it's sitting at 55*c right this minute.
    Also check to see if your pump is working, may be getting bad temps cos there is no coolant flow.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

I would suggest the best place is on the outside of your case. Similar to how I built the turbine, I figured the best place is to draw cool air into the radiator and expell it outside of the case. Not into it, wich would raise your gpu temps. That is why I built the Turbine for the top of my case and the radiator in my motorized madness case draws cool air from the front and exhasuts it out the side. -it doesn't add any heat to the case whatsoever.
    Just my 1 cent.

Quote Originally Posted by The boy 4rm oz View Post
    Those temps do seem high especially if it is just a CPU. On stock air cooling and Arctic Silver 5 my C2D E6600 sits around 50*c, it's sitting at 55*c right this minute.
    Wow yeah, CPU's do get pretty toasty. What temps do you think I would see for normal watercooling?

Quote Originally Posted by rendermandan View Post
    I would suggest the best place is on the outside of your case.... draws cool air from the front and exhausts it out the side.
    Yeah that's a good idea, I'm thinking I will mount the fan towards the front of my case, and get a fan duct to exhaust it somewhere. The only area on the case that this would be easy is the top.. I could mount the rad there and attach a fan to both the case door (pulling air) and before the rad (pushing air), and just connect the two using this: fan duct
    Only cold air would touch the rad, and warm exhaust wouldn't interfere with the case. I may get a 2x 120mm one or just another single.

I'm looking into more cooling, like HD's or memory, something that will carry from one system to another. *sigh* I wish gpu waterblocks were cheaper.. or that they would at least carry over to other gpus.

ALSO thanks to everyone for the help so far ++ rep!
    EDIT, crap I ran out of giving rep, I'll get that done when I have more!

Quote Originally Posted by isunktheship View Post
    Wow yeah, CPU's do get pretty toasty. What temps do you think I would see for normal watercooling?
    it all depends on the cpu, mine is air cooled, overclocked and runs 30C idle. i've never looked at your specific cpu so i'm not sure what you should see. i would guess at idle it should be close to mine. (ambient is about 20C).

Yeah that's a good idea, I'm thinking I will mount the fan towards the front of my case, and get a fan duct to exhaust it somewhere. The only area on the case that this would be easy is the top.. I could mount the rad there and attach a fan to both the case door (pulling air) and before the rad (pushing air), and just connect the two using this: fan duct
    Only cold air would touch the rad, and warm exhaust wouldn't interfere with the case. I may get a 2x 120mm one or just another single.
    seems like a good idea, i would get 2x 120mm rad if you want to also water cool the gpu.

I'm looking into more cooling, like HD's or memory, something that will carry from one system to another. *sigh* I wish gpu waterblocks were cheaper.. or that they would at least carry over to other gpus.
    you must be looking at gpu full coverage blocks, they do sell transferable blocks that cool only the core, you need ramsinks for the ram and other stuff though. here is a swiftech MCW60 that should work on yours. it will fit your block, here is the compatibility list

ALSO thanks to everyone for the help so far ++ rep!
    EDIT, crap I ran out of giving rep, I'll get that done when I have more!
    you don't run out of giving rep you just need to "spread the rep around" it just prevents people from repping the same person over and over. just go to the worklogs and give some rep there.