Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another SHORTER survey for school assignment - followup

is never gonna give you up Elenril's Avatar

Default Another SHORTER survey for school assignment - followup

Thanks everyone who helped out with my first survey! I now have another one which is needed for my assignment, but it's a lot shorter (only 4 questions). If you could help me out again by giving a few minutes of your time to briefly answer these questions, you will gain my eternal gratitude, and reps.

1. How many games have you bought in the last year?
    1-5
    5-10
    10-20
    20+

2. How many games have you played in the last year that were completely unsatisfying and a waste of money? Which game(s) and why?

3. How many games have you played in the last year that provided an utterly fantastic gaming experience, and as such could be considered a ‘classic’?

4. In your opinion, do you think that quantity is now prevalent over quality within the game development industry? What do you think could be improved within the game development industry (in particular, game design) to offer a better gaming experience for gamers?

Thankyou for your time.

Click for my dA page

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW
    Never leave a bright orange case outside. Magpies will attempt to gang rape it.

Default Re: Another SHORTER survey for school assignment - followup

5-10

2. How many games have you played in the last year that were completely unsatisfying and a waste of money? Which game(s) and why?
    none

3. How many games have you played in the last year that provided an utterly fantastic gaming experience, and as such could be considered a ‘classic’?

4. In your opinion, do you think that quantity is now prevalent over quality within the game development industry? What do you think could be improved within the game development industry (in particular, game design) to offer a better gaming experience for gamers?

I think there is a decent balance between quality and quanity on average of course there are exception. I would prefer to see more emphasis on advanced problem solving incorporated even in action games.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

MORE you want MORE!!

meh..OK..

5-10

Can't think of any.

Crysis.

Multiplayer, every game should have a form of multiplayer and it should be a good multiplayer.

Make it possible to rip peoples ares and legs off and beat them to death with it

. How many games have you bought in the last year?
    1-5
    5-10
    10-20
    20+

none i'm not a huge gamer and try (on friends copies) before i buy hehe

one

As consumers we constantly demand higher quality and are gettin more and more used to long development time coupled with plenty of marketing hype, it's not unusual to look on most computer related forums and lots of non-computer related forums and see "what releases are you looking forward to this year" type posts where, in my experience its the same 5-10 names banded around between the posters, considering all the genres that exist in gaming i would take this to mean that 'we' like to have a few great games rather than a trillion average ones, evey so often a new game comes along and raises the bar gameplay/visually but i dont think we could demand any more (realistically i mean - i'd like to smell/feel the places my characters go and i would definitely like some real life damage to occur to some of the people i bump into in cyberland) from a multi billion $ industry that already keeps most of us very happy /rant

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

5-10

BF2: Because I didn't enjoy it too much... too many snipers, I started it too late and didn't have all the various bonus kits and such and it was a pain in the arse to install and get working.

STALKER: Because it didn't run too well and the weapons were too inaccurate even though the AIs shot like snipers. It wasn't all bad but could've been better.

CnC3: Pretty innovative for an EA game... not bad for an EA continuation/ending of a previous series that I enjoy.

Oblivion: Very immersive and excellent for modding.

Crysis: This one really takes the cake. It's immersive as hell, very fun to play, very creative and open ended, beautiful graphics even on medium, and you have to change your strategy very often to compensate for your enemies, environment, etc. Very fun game.

Yes I do. They should take more time to finish the games without rushing them. I'd much rather wait another few months to a year to have a really fun experience instead of a buggy, low quality one. EA really needs to pick up on quality too... their games are usually lacking in some way that entirely ruins it or the game is just crap to begin with. CnC3 is one example. If they kept most if not all of the units from previous games and made it more minimalist for base size it would be more enjoyable.

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Elenril View Post
    5-10

None.

Half-Life 2
    Call of Duty 4

I do think Quantity is overriding quality nowadays. Really though, it depends. You get companies like Infinity Ward and Valve who make simply phenominal games, or you get a lot of other companies who rush out games and overhype them to make a quick buck at the expense of good gameplay and story.

Another downside of this is that even the good companies are releasing shorter and shorter games so that they can do it more often. Games that once took a few serious days or casual weeks of gaming have been shrunk down to a few serious hours or a casual day or two. This wouldn't be as much of a problem if they were released for a lower price, perhaps, to compensate for the lack of gameplay.

Multiplayer CAN be fun, however, companies need to stop selling games on the basis that their multiplayer is good (unless it's like unreal tournament, TF2, CSS, or something like that), because some of us (might I even say most?) don't give a hoot about multiplayer.

So basically the industry needs to work on: Story, Gameplay, and overall quality/length. After having played CoD4, I can almost confidently say that graphics are something that we don't need to have pissing matches over anymore.

Thankyou for your time.
    You're welcome.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

5-10
    i've tried alot of them though.

none of what i bought, trying though i don't really like COD4 as the computer beats the game for you...
    BF2: its good and all but it was hyped way to high. though the heli's are the best to fly and use!

Resident evil 4 (Wii, PS2, and Gamecube being the best)
    Super Mario Galaxy
    Crysis
    Zelda
    bioshock (demo)

i think its a mix of both. the Super Mario series is always good, that i've palyed. while sports games are all the same, i can't say that and should take it out as i do not play them and quite dislike them.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

I subscribed to this thread. BigJohnson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Elenril View Post
    1-5
    5-10
    10-20
    20+

None

RBI Baseball (NES) Definately a classic
    BF 1942 (PC)

I think that there is more emphasis on quantity over quality. There might be something political to go along with it (I have my conspiracy theories). But I believe that such quality games that want to claim originality and incredible game play will take longer to make. So in order to offer this intense gaming experience without people getting bored before that game comes out, they offer something to 'fill the void'. They just put something, anything out there to keep your attention until their 'earth shattering' display is ready.
    Hope it helps. Sorry, I got a little wordy in the end.

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

5-10

I do some beta testing and there have been a few that I was displeased with. I can play the betas and the demos, and that usually determines weather or not I'm going to buy. (PC only)

Navyfield, Half-Life 2, Call of Duty 4, Archlord, Crysis to name the a few of the best. (All PC)

Yes, quality is defenently more prevalent because the sequels to games are taking a good bit of time to come out. Look at Starcraft 2, 10 YEARS!! Others are taking around 1-2 because they have much larger crews to work on the games.

The only problem with newer games are the requirements. You pretty much need the biggest and baddest computer out there to run the games. I have a decent system and it runs pretty much anything on medium or high settings. But it did take some cash to build it. Graphics are awesome but pretty soon they are going to be too good for "most" gamers to be able to afford the hardware to run them.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

1-5
    5-10
    10-20
    20+

Heh, I don't buy unsatisfying games. I do my research before forking over my monies on video games that I've never played before. So none.

Well, it usually takes more than just a year for a good game to become a classic. Take Zelda for the Nintendo, Contra for the Super Nintendo, Super Mario Kart for the Nintendo 64 and Halo for the Xbox. Oh and don't forget the Final Fantasy Series for Playstation! Maybe even the later games for the PS2?

The only really amazing games that I have played in the past year is World of Warcraft, Halo Series and Diablo 2 Expansion. WoW isn't a classic, but the Halo Series and the Diablo Series definitely are classics in my book. So 3; Diablo 2, Halo and Halo 2.

Well, it seems that there are many many games out in the market right now, not all of them being very good. But I don't think its a matter of quantity over quality, as their isn't just one company producing these games but many companies with even more game designers within those companies. So I think its a lot more like Art really, some people are just better than others at certain things. Sure, I can paint, but no where near as good as such people like DaVinci or Picasso. I think games are like that, some people are just better at what they do than other people. Such as the creaters of Bioshock, Medal of Honor Series and of course the Halo Series, to name a few.

What could be improved within the game development industry? Well, I think they are on the right track for the most part. But sometimes companies release epic titles like Assassins Creed, which was supposed to be just that, an _epic_ game, or in other words, a game that is totally satisfactory and that blows ones mind into a million fragmented particles. But, they sort of ruined the game. The technology that they used is exactly where it should be, its utterly amazing, but the first what? Almost two to two and a half hours is just utterly boring. Thats a big problem, because nobody likes to be bored playing video games. Its why we play them in the first place! So to have something fun to do. Fun = Anti-Boredom. So I don't really know what it is that makes games fun, I don't think there is any one thing that makes games fun, other than maybe a good game designer.

So to sum it up, the graphics in the latest game titles are right where they should be for the time being, the story lines are also satisfactory, its the gameplay that will either make or break a game.

Phew! Short questions, long answers! lol
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.