Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Work has locked me down!

Default Work has locked me down!

Sorry everyone, My activity on this forum is going to be seriously cut down. As of this afternoon, our work has implimented a "Lockdown" on all computers. This includes file sharing, Email access, Control Panel, even the time and date settings are unavailable to me, I can't delete my cookies or clear my browser history and they have locked a bunch of websites out from browsing, including this forum just to name a few.

I don't understand what on this site is causing the it to be blocked, Its not like this is an objectionable content website.

Most of my surfing and time spent on this forum is done while I'm at work so now I'm only going to be able to get on in the evening from home.

That is until I find a work around to bypass the security without our System Admin finding out...

Has this happened to anyone else?

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Default Re: Work has locked me down!

Makes me think that the public school epidemic is spreading. Nazi-esque policies and all. They enforced that dress code like crazy. I swear, I'm seeing the end of something coming... either the world or my sanity. :F

They had us wear horrible clothing with the excuse that we're going to wear fancy clothes when we get jobs anyway. Guess what assholes? We're not at work, we're at school. It's supposed to be somewhat fun and enjoyable at school. You know, chatting with friends and such (not that I had (m)any).

They need to let up some. Everybody, that is. Everyone is so tense and rushed and just stressed out or pissed off about everything. Cut yourself and everyone else some slack and just take it easy. Take your time. Be patient. Sheesh.

/rant

Sorry about that, I just have a lot of tension building up, I'm seriously not liking what I'm seeing in my future and this world... it's frustrating seeing that your future is going to be filled with stress unless there's some random "act of god" or something. At least I've found a subject that interests me. Hopefully I can be of some good to the world. Psychology ftw!

In other news, I think my college might block it soon, we shall see. It's not really a distraction, but instead a momentary diversion from tedious, repetitive work (*cough* Power Point *cough*).

Again, sorry for going kind of OT... I feel like I'm going to implode and go into a coma for a few months from all this.

Quote Originally Posted by rendermandan View Post
    Most of my surfing and time spent on this forum is done while I'm at work so now I'm only going to be able to get on in the evening from home.
    Maybe that has something to do with it?

Click here for the Battlefield 2 L.A.N. Pc worklog.

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

School exists not as a social center, but one of education. As much as I would like to think that school should be for dicking around and socializing, it's not. You're there to learn, and while it's not a "job" per se, it is YOUR job, and your responsibility. Also, if the college/school district/whatever forbades you from wearing certain clothes and it's such an issue to you, simply stop giving your (or your parents' or your bank's) money to them. Simple as that.

Stuff like that really is a non-issue in my opinion. If they say you can't wear your "COCKITIZER" t-shirt to school, deal with it or leave. They will have standards and you will be required to meet them or else cease to participate.

Besides, welcome to life. You're in college now, right? Sure, you should enjoy this while you can, because you probably won't have this much of a social life again (work, sleep, shower, mild recreation perhaps, and there's your weekday for the rest of your life (please do not omit eating as it is critical)), but you shouldn't go out of your way to socialize (trust me, it's not hard) or jeopardize your perfectly good shot at an education because you still want to be a kid.

'Sides, once you finish your classes for the day and homework or whatever, you're free to dick off. Just like other school life.

/counter-rant

OvRiDe, I don't know why they'd block TBCS but I do understand why they might block other crap, you're there to work and not dick off. =/

That being said, I typically read bash.org while in 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th and 6th period classes.

Strangely enough, my grade in those classes are C+, C+, A, and C- respectively. Why? I can manage my time. Taking notes while reading bash.org FTW!

But yeah. Lockdown = Ghey.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

I know it's a place of learning. It was more of them forcing **** on us! I don't wear crazy clothes, just plain, casual, comfortable ones. Wearing a black polo tucked in with TAN pants (I HATE TAN! HATE!) day after day after day with the threat of suspension for two weeks was not something I liked. I chat when I get the chance (which isn't often) and I do my work. I was half asleep and they wouldn't leave me the f*** alone when it came to that (I did better than most everyone else and they still bitched at me)... I'm just sick of a lot of things at the moment. Too many things that have bothered me in the past are coming back for revenge.

************************************************** **************** *********************************** In fact, I'll go ahead and just "***" out that last part. Don't worry about it.

As a Sys Admin I would like to say I feel your pain.. but unfortunately I have sworn an oath and had extensive electroshock therapy in order not to. :p

First thing I have to say is .. Lockdowns are not personal. They are usually done because there are continual problems due to the nature of employees surfing the web. Honestly hundreds of hours of my time are eaten up needlessly due to someone surfing a site, downloading a trojan and then leaving it up to us IT folk to clean up the mess. When if they had been paying attention or not downloaded some shiny new gizmo for their desktop it could have been avoided. Then they wonder why we are behind on rolling out the new email system etc etc.. Of course I always get .. "Shouldn't the Antivirus have picked that up?" Well .. YES it should have but new viruses are released every day and the Antivirus companies don't always get the updates out before a company can be heavily infected. During my years the companies I have worked for have used McAfee, Norton, Trend and AVG corp, and everyone of them have let something big through one time or another.

The other thing that causes these kinds of decisions to be made is time! Execs eat that up. Lets just say we have an medium sized average company or 500 employees. If every employee spends 1 hour a day surfing the internet on company time. thats 500 hours a day. Lets say the average wage for said company is 15 bucks an hour. That company is paying out $7500 dollars a day for surfing. Thats $37,500 a week, $162,500 month and 1.95 MILLION dollars a year. When Execs get a hold of those numbers all they see is RED. Now in reality we know that there are just times when you got a few minutes to burn or need a break etc etc, but those Execs don't want to hear it. They want productivity.
    Quote Originally Posted by rendermandan
    That is until I find a work around to bypass the security without our System Admin finding out...
    All I have to say to this is BE CAREFUL. You'd be surprised at what your Sys Admin really knows. I can't count how many times I have seen the blood drain from an employees face when I confront them about something they have done on their computer because they didn't think we knew. TCPDUMP, IPTRAF, DRIFTNET, URLSNARF, Wireshark, and AIM SNIFF are our friends, and we can use them from the comfort of our desk (ok, my desk is not comfortable at all), and the user has no way of knowing that I am looking at them. Now before you all flame me and say that I am some evil lurker waiting to get some one fired.. Let me just say.. the reason I have seen the expressions on their faces is because I usually go to them in private instead of just turning them over to HR. I really don't want to see anyone loose their job over something as silly as surfing. Unfortunately a few habitual offenders have forced me to do it.

When it comes to blocking TBCS, it was probably not for content, it was probably just on a list of sites that were being visited that were not work related.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    OvRiDe, I don't know why they'd block TBCS but I do understand why they might block other crap, you're there to work and not dick off. =/
    I think you may have me confused with Mr Rendermandan... =/
    Last edited by OvRiDe; 11-07-2007 at 02:49 AM. Reason: Omega's confusion in the forums....

if they have blocked the internet then it won't work but i was able to install firefox on my mp3 palyer and look at the net through that which i think they cannot see what you look at, but not sure of this.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Eh, I saw the OvRiDe sig, meant Dan, whatever.

You still know what I meant.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Is your mp3 player connected to your works internet or on some sort of wifi? If its going through your companies internet connection.. They can see it .. if they are looking.

usb, thats what i was thinking as i was typing, but i mean if there not looking at the time your on the internet then they won't be able see what you looked at, i think. also you don't have to worry about cookies and the history.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v