Thread: Effects of Dust

Default Effects of Dust

I realize dust on a heat sink or filter is bad for cooling etc but how does it effect something like a sound card. Besides looking trashy would a reglar card that doesn't require additional cooling have performance decreases because of a faint layer of dust or is that no factor?

Default Re: Effects of Dust

A thin layer's no big deal. If it builds up, and you have a high-end wanky sound card, there might be heat issues, but I've never noticed any issues with my (rather dusty) machines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

Here's my theory, and I have absolutely no way of knowing if I am right.
    While the dust build up may not create heat problems for cards that ordinarily don't need cooling, the dust could bridge connections and allow things to short out.

BTW... In case you didn't know, like 85 or 90% of household dust is made up of discarded human skin cells.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyse a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects"

Robert A. Heinlein

nice knowlage, nice to know when i die, there will be a peice of me left with my computer

Overclocked

actually more like a few trillion:p

but no. its no problem. fromt the computers ive seen.... 3 years unopened. dear lordy.

only problem would be static bridging and shorting. but thats after this stuff builds up over a few years. think rubbing a cotton swab over your card over and over
    "Two people can keep a secret only if one is dead." Abraham Lincoln

Dust doesn't cause a problem unless it's mixed with smoke or pet hair. Both of those two mixed with high volumes of dust can cause components to overheat or fans to burn out.

Is awesome

Actually, most of dust is made up of dustmite poo that they make when they eat the discarded human skin cells.

There ya go.
    You love my sig.