Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Installing linux for use with a virtual pc.

Would You kindly... luciusad2004's Avatar

Default Re: Installing linux for use with a virtual pc.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. I found that last night actually but wasn't sure if it worked with xfce because the website for the application said it was meant for gnome.
    What if I'm a Snowstorm burning
    What if I'm a world unturning.

Ive got some questions about installing Linux on another machine and i figured since ive probably had more threads asking "Should i install Linux on such and such box or no!!!11!!" than anyone else on this forum, i might as well just reuse the one i have.

Anyway, I ran in to some problems with my poor ibook, I thought the hard drive locked up during a "critical security update" and in my frustration (It had been updating for hours... they never take that long, and the machine was unresponsive) I shut down the system. This hosed my OS X install apparently as it wouldn't boot up. I thought my hard drive was dead (i thought maybe that was why it locked up because it was making some ugly noises last nite) but apparently its not as i now have the machine running after a quick reinstall.

So, i know i have been talking for AGES about installing Linux on this machine but i was always held back because i didn't want to lose whatever data i had on her. Well now it doesn't matter because i already lost it so i think this time i may go ahead and put Linux on my ibook.

The question: Do you think Ubuntu (or if i can find a PPC version of xubuntu, then that) will run on this machine.

SPECS:Apple ibook circa 2001
    • Power PC g3 processor 600 MHz
    • 348 MB SDRam
    • Video:...Idk its probably integrated all i can find is that i have 8MB VRam
    • 18.5 GB Hard disk

That seems like most of the important specs i can think of off hand

The original plan was Gentoo, I even had a thread about it, but i don't think i have the patience at the moment to figure that one out so im going to see if i can find a more simplified distro. So if anyone has any experience or knowlege about ppc based systems and has any advice your input is appreciated. It's not as easy to find distrobutions built for power pc as it is for the intel processors.

Thanks guys.

Should run fine. You should also be able to find a PPC version of Xubuntu no problem. And, if not, you can uninstall Gnome and then install Xfce. It'll take a bit (a long bit) but it'll have the same general idea as Xubuntu.
    RIP Bucko

Out of curiosity is it possible to have more than one window manager/desktop environment installed at a time? Is there anyway to set it up like that were i can switch between environments?

anyway, I'll look for a PPC version of xubuntu.

Thanks.

Hmmm... that's one I'm not sure about. I think you can though (don't quote me on it though). I think you can do that with the Sessions in the login screen. Maybe.
    RIP Bucko

I found a xubuntu iso and burned it to a disk but its not working right. It loads up but once i get in to the desktop nothing is right. There are no taskbars, all i can see is the icons on the desktop. On top of that, the desktop is messed up. it doesnt't fill my whole monitor and is sort of "wrapped" around my screen vertically. I can't really explain it. I think i might try a normal ubuntu release and see how that runs.

Alright, this just... idk... its not working out. I downloaded both Ubuntu and Xubuntu for power pc and its just not working right. I boot up the live cd's and the display only uses a little bit of my screen. I checked the resolution and it said its running 800 x 600. This probably explains why its not filling my screen. As i said on top of that problem, what is displayed is displayed strangely. The screen "wraps" around the top and then down below my screen it displays the top. I have no clue whats going on. I would try to install and see if it just "fixes itself" during the install (idk maybe it will work out the driver problem if it installs to a hard disk) but i can't even get through that because i can't see the necessary parts of the screen. Xubuntu worked worse than Ubunutu, with xubuntu i couldn't even see the "task bars" that would normally be on the top and bottom of the screen. I can't really explain it. Anyway, i don't really know what to do. I may just reinstall os x unless i can find another PPC compatable distrobution. Idk, im just really discouraged right now.

Should i run a firewall under linux or no? Ive been meaning to ask but didn't want to go overboard with dumb questions. I know that no system is invulnerable, but is it as big of a deal as it would be under windows?

Thanks.

I do on my server. Run "sudo apt-get install firestarter".
    RIP Bucko

Alright, I'll do that when i get home. Is this a guied firewall or command line. I'm honestly pretty new to firewalls (just started using one a couple months ago) and don't know much about them.

Thanks.