Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Installing linux for use with a virtual pc.

Would You kindly... luciusad2004's Avatar

Default Re: Installing linux for use with a virtual pc.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    OT: Debian rocks my world.

I've been all about Sabayon and Ubuntu, and finally decided to check out Debian today. I'm in looooove.
    Once im feeling up to it, I'm thinking of installing Gentoo on my ibook. I downloaded the manual a long time ago. I'm just not sure if i want to give up OS X or not and my hard drive is only 20 gigs so i don't know how well it would work out if i tried to run a dual boot on it. If i don't install Gentoo on her anytime soon, definitely after i get a new macbook. If i ever decide to purchase an apple product that is. I like to think of myself as OS neutral so i want to have experience with the three "major players" Windows, OS X and, Linux.

Ill try out some of tips you guys suggested and let you know how it works out. I spent last night in Windows land so i didn't get to tinker with Linux world
    What if I'm a Snowstorm burning
    What if I'm a world unturning.

Thanks for the tips guys. I got the launcher to work and i installed another game and this time synaptic added it right in to the menu. Do all of the installed apps go in to a directory within the usr directory?

Edit: Just a quick little question... If i don't plan on doing any gaming, what do you guys think would benefit me more:

• New graphics card
    • More ram ( I would bump it up to 1 gig, im currently at 512)

It does seem like it could use a little bit of help rendering things. When windows pop up, inside of them will just be a screwy mess for a split second. Not a big deal at all, but it could be better. Would a dedicated graphics card help this or would i be better off with the ram?

If you can get it cheap enough, I'd do both. You'll benefit from the RAM no doubt, but there are really cool Linux games out there that require 3D (even though you said if you don't game...) Even like, an FX5200 would be good. Your call. Either would be a good step.

Side note: Check out Warsow.
    RIP Bucko

Quote Originally Posted by .Maleficus. View Post
    If you can get it cheap enough, I'd do both. You'll benefit from the RAM no doubt, but there are really cool Linux games out there that require 3D (even though you said if you don't game...) Even like, an FX5200 would be good. Your call. Either would be a good step.

Side note: Check out Warsow.
    I never said i don't game I just said i didn't plan on using this rig for gaming . If i had the card i would def give it a shot... i just didn't think i would find any games for Linux.

I wouldn't drop more than a couple hundred in to a card for this thing though since its a pretty old machine and i would have to purchase an AGP card. Another thing i would like to be able to take advantage of is the cool desktop/window managers out there for Linux. I'm a sucker for eye candy.
    I guess ill post up my specs:

• Celeron 2.80Gh
    • 512 MB Ram (says 448 im assuming the extra goes to video)
    • obviously I'm running on-board graphics
    • 100 GB Hdisk (two partitions, 10GB cdrive and another partition of 90 GB for my stuff)

http://www.jetway.com.tw/oldweb/evis...bms/p4mbms.htm
    I'm pretty sure thats my mother board. It sort of sucks. The on-board sound doesn't work as far as i know, so i have an old sound card plugged in. I'm not sure what it is, but its old enough to have a joystick port.

Then you'll want both eventually. Check out this http://www.amazon.com/Micro-Star-GFF...4576733&sr=1-7. Pretty cheap, and would work fine.
    RIP Bucko

Ha, wow you guys are fast... but then again i spend a half hour editing posts. I was gonna ask if you know how much it would cost to get a card capable of running counter strike source. I'm not planning on deleting windows anytime soon, so if i get a decent enough card i thought i would enjoy counter strike (my friends play it.)

Edit... The card you linked to, has two very different pictures. when you click on the image for a larger look it appears to show an image of a completely different card.

Yeah, I noticed that too...
    RIP Bucko

To be honest, ill probably spend 150 - 200 on a video card once i get a job...

Im sort of conflicted thought, I mean, If i get a cheaper video card like you mentioned i could just buy 1 GB of ram and the card.

Also, do you think i should just purchase 512 MB and run 2 x 512 or should i purchase a single one gig stick incase i ever want more. I only have two ram slots so if i get 2 x 512 and then later decide i want two Gigs i need to purchase two full gigs. It seems like a nice idea to keep my options open but at the same time, once i get a job i want to build a new rig anyway at wich point I will format and probably install just linux on this box so i don't know that i will need two Gigs.

Does anybody know if it is possible to have a different picture on each virtual desktop? I looked around in the settings but couldn't find such an option.

You mean on each workspace? This is what I found.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...und+workspaces
    RIP Bucko