Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Frozen Sun

Default Re: Project: Frozen Sun

Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    I just heard back from PPG, the Harlequin paint will not light up under UV lights. Sorry!
    Dag nabit!

Maybe we will add some white lights just to show off the paint job.
    hmm lets see...
    • 4 each 12" UV tubes + 2each 7 led UV spots + a 5 led UV lazer
    • All the blue fans + (hopefully) 2 round blue pucks (for back lighting such as behind the MB)
    • 10 green led lazer cannons for spot lighting
    • Some white lighting (to show off the harlequinn paint)
    • lets not forget the leds in the Crucial Tracers....
    I am not sure if our 800 watt PSU is beg enough...

Maybe This mod should be about installing a nuclear reactor in our computer...

"If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough!"

Check out the PSU calculator thread I posted.. might answer that question for you.

That's enough lights to open a nightclub!

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

It appears that i've run out of computer/log related puns, so I suppose my father is going to punnish me. Now, before anyone with a sensitive nose has to leave (because of how bad my jokes stink), i'd best hop right into the update!
    Even before we began to order any pieces, we decided on our color scheme, a fairly standard green/blue mix. To spice it up, we decided we'd have to different light rigs run off of our SunBeam Light Bus, one of that last in the world! (we had to import it all the way from New Zealand)!

Now, to clarify, the Lightbus can accommodate four seperate light channels, each with seperate settings, but we aren't made of money, so we're saving the other 2.

Now, the first set of lights (which we were planning on from the start) was entirely UV. We planned to completely flood our case with UV, to the point where it nearly became hard to look into. Most all of the UV reactants would be green (and only a few blues), and the power supply and various other fans would supply more blue to balance it out through their built in LEDs.

In the second set, we decided to use blue as the dominant color (the opposite of the other rig), and light key (or in other words, neat looking) elements of the computer with green spotlights. we're planning to have most of the background glow come from blue LED pucks mounted behind the MoBo (so it creates a halo outlining the rollercoaster, and you can refer to my first post for a pic if you've forgotten).

Next, we decided to find some sort of green sleeving for our wires, and of course, we bought the best we could be find (Father had to give a tearful goodbye to his last good friend, a wrinkled old George Washington for that), but the results were stunning, our TechFlex UV Ogre is beautiful when exposed to ultraviolet!

Peering throught the plastic package (or possibly cheating by scrolling down to see a poorly sleeved wire ), you can see that it is a green-black mix, which looks een better under light. The result is going to be great!

We bought all the tools we thought we needed for removing the pin housings, but it appears we were wrong... (see the tools in the picture with the sleeving). Our 20+4 pin remover doesn't seem to work on our cable! I searched google for a while, and found something that may possibly be the answer. The newer 20+4s are made to a different specification then the old Molexes, so the molex tool no longer properly catches the tabs on the pins. At any rate, other then that, its went relatively smoothly. With a great deal of tugging (and much to my dismay, one broken pin), I managed to get a pretty decent head start on the cables i've currently got on hand. We're replacing the connectors with UV green EasyGripz (again, in the picture with the coiled Ogre). We didn't buy quite enough, so I'm going to need to stop when I run out until the new shipment comes in, by then i'll hopefully get the cables on hand finished. The only other real issue we've been facing is the fact that the Ogre kits we bought come with very little mid-sized sleeving. I expended both entire rolls of it on just two of my six power supply cables! If this keeps up we'll end up selling my laptop, which would cause a bit of friction in the team XD.

At any rate, i've blabbed enough for one night, I need to go gather more pictures, and prepare to tell you guys all about our cooling rig next time!

EDIT:
    Ha, it seems Dad has beaten me to telling you about the lighting, but one thing he doesn't have is a pretty picture of the lightbus, so chalk one up for me! XD

Modding; v. - The act of creating a computer as cool as mine.

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

You need a different connector to de-pin the mobo power connectors.
    http://www.pccasegear.com.au/prod1333.htm
    Fairly expensive though, I was going to change my black ones to blue and decided against it.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

Must not beat boy, must not beat boy for extremely bad puns...must only use my mutant, super Dad steroid arm for for good or maybe winning at poker. (these things ain't cheap ya know...) Besides I've gotten pretty used to him.
    I can be the super hero and he can be my side kick. Just like...(who was the worst super hero side kick?)....
    Well I guess he does do pretty good sleeving work... ok...I won't beat him...today..

Quote Originally Posted by The boy 4rm oz View Post
    You need a different connector to de-pin the mobo power connectors.
    We actually have a special tool for the 20+4. It just doesn't seen to work too easy. The molex tool worked great on the molexes (well most of them).
    But the boy and I spent a combined 1/2 hour trying to pop out a single 20+4 pin with no luck...
    Josh - Please take a good pic of the 20+4 tool and display it here.
    Does anyone know of a better / easy to use tool?????

For those of you who might wonder...I travel for living, I travel so much that I make road warriors look like sissies...
    so when it sounds like I am giving the boy a hard time he knows it is just my code for me saying, "I care!"

thats going to be one sexy PC how much did it cost for all?

Well, thats a sticky topic XD. Lets just say we passed our limit by.... a bit. I believe the current estimate is about 2.5k... correct Dad? Well, I didn't need that college money... considering I was well qualified for a partial-ride into OSU in 7th grade (judging by a test ACT score). XD Anyways, i've been really swamped with homework (i figured no one on the community wanted to help me find the point of concurrence of the altitudes of a triangle in order to get its orthocenter). But, should I have some spare time, i'll get a few new pix up (one of me popping out the door springs, removing the window, some more sleeving work, and of course our current piece of... buttcake 20+4 pin remover).

Modding; v. - The act of creating a computer as cool as mine.

Wow, I guess I have outgeeked myself here but...

LINK
    Click on the Cabri download, it's pretty good

( It's not my fault... I build kites! )
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyse a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects"

Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Ironcat View Post
    Wow, I guess I have outgeeked myself here but...

LINK
    Click on the Cabri download, it's pretty good

( It's not my fault... I build kites! )
    Ok Ironcat, I am officially impressed.
    Did you already know what an orthocenter was or did you look it up?
    Either way +rep for the effort...