Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Default Re: Project: Frozen Sun

Can't go past new gear lol.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

Cereal and I were very disappointed with the flowmeter.
    Yes, I knew the Germans like to use 6mm tubing for their water cooling instead of the 9 - 12mm we use. I certainly did not expect the actual inlets and outlets to be about 2.5mm ID!
    I can't even imagine how badly using that would throttle the water flow or just how high it would raise temps!

For some reason I thought the Germans knew about liquid cooling...silly me.

"If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough!"

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

It may have been designed for a split line so not to impede flow to significant components. Basically the only thing it does is tell you if the coolant is moving.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

Quote Originally Posted by The boy 4rm oz View Post
    It may have been designed for a split line so not to impede flow to significant components. Basically the only thing it does is tell you if the coolant is moving.
    No... The flow meter is rated at 2800 counts per liter. This thing was designed to monitor / read out actual flow rates. Just for a very small computer!
    I suppose I could run a 1/4" bypass line around it. That way flow would not be so restricted. I don't know how I would calibrate the unit to get the total flow though. (Actually I do know, it would just be a major pain!, I do this kind of stuff at work!)
    I just emailed Koolance asking them the actual ID of their flow meters. They appear to be larger so maybe we will get lucky@:p

Just heard back from Koolance...Fast response...maybe I should be doing more business with them...

They claim their flow meter has an effective 10mm ID! Hot Damn!
    That means minimal back pressure in the system due to the flow meter.

I think we have a winner! (thunderous applause)

Sorry about the delay, A few pesky lines of code kept me glued to the computer last night. (stick_user_to_chair(superglue,true); )
    At any rate, I come in peace.... with pictures! Thats right, the nitty gritty of undressing our ThermalTake Kandalf LCS

First of all, we had to remove the side doors, smooth sailing.

Next, we popped off the silly Star Trek top piece (considering the computer will be sitting under our desk, with only the front 4 inches or so sticking out). We're going to need to put it back on before we're done, because it leaves some mighty ugly holes in the top, but I really wish we had the option of starting with a plain top.

Then, we had to remove the B-E-A-utiful front panel. This was no easy feat, they disguised the screws as rivets, which kept us searching for the better part of a half hour.
    As you can also see in the picture, we removed nearly all of the plastic no-screw mechanisms in the front bay rack as well (we're sending it in for painting). The very top one is still in place, its latches were obscured by the top, which we were removing soon anyways.

Now, we removed the top and bottom by drilling out all the rivets, which was a pain in the donkey. Several rivets were apparently made out of some form of diamond alloy, as they REFUSED to be drilled through (we actually broke a pretty high quality bit), while others just melted like butter. My father has more skills with the drill then I do, so I simply watched in fascination (until thin slivers of metal began flying in all directions, at which point I retreated behind the counter for the duration). You can also see that I removed all of the tension springs lining the case where the doors meet (to reduce vibrations) again for ease of painting.

Successfully getting our case naked, we put a hospital gown (dust protector) over it and awaited tommorow, where we'd find some new 'sleeves for all of our wires. All hail Ogre sleeving!
    Last edited by CerealKlr; 11-09-2007 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Pour speling XD

Modding; v. - The act of creating a computer as cool as mine.

I just heard back from PPG, the Harlequin paint will not light up under UV lights. Sorry!

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    I just heard back from PPG, the Harlequin paint will not light up under UV lights. Sorry!
    Well thats a bummer! Maybe it will still look cool? I guess thats just how it goes sometimes though. You just gotta experiment around a bit and if it doesn't turn out the way you wanted it too, then sand it back down and try again. Although that can end up being costly in both time, effort and money. *shrugs*

This has turned out to be a fairly entertaining thread, pretty amusing really. I think its great that we have a father and son project here on the forums. Anytime I mention something computer related with my father... well, lets just say it doesn't usually end well. (you wouldn't believe how ridiculously hard it was to get him to switch over from IE to Firefox. ).

Keep up the good work you two, we'll be watching!
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

My dad has NO clue about computers. I once found 10 new folders and text documents created on the desktop. He says he was trying to shut it down.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    My dad has NO clue about computers. I once found 10 new folders and text documents created on the desktop. He says he was trying to shut it down.
    ROFL, i actually laughed.

Same for my dad, he thinks he knows, but every time he tries to fix the internet when it goes down, he thinks restarting the PC fixes a problem with the modem/router... When will he learn, oh well its 20mins he wastes shutting down and starting up a ancient PC...

Keep up the good, work, cable sleeving can be a painful, boring experience, especially when you can't figure out how to remove the connectors, or don't dare as you will have 24 wires and no clue where they go.