Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird Flying spider

Do you have a second life?

Default Weird Flying spider

Hey guys,
    Just before i saw a spider on my screen, so i thought normal spider, squish it, i tried and it "Jumped" on my speak next to my screen, tried again and it kept jumping, I was like WTF alrighty a jumping spider. I lost if for abit, then i saw it on my mouse cord, so i was trying to flick it off, and it flew back to my speaker. Yeah a spider that flew :S. I lost it again, but i found it like a min latter on my network cable, It flew onto my door.

I was looking at it as it was on my door and i noticed. It had 8 legs But there were 2 in the middle, were double the size of the normal legs, really dark black. as it walked they sort of flicked, really cool. Then when it flew its other legs tucked in and the large ones extended to wings and it flew. It was about 5mm big too.

I googled but found nothing, Anyone know what it was? Im scared of spiders, but this one was really cool, and i wanna know more

Thanks

Sam

Default Re: Weird Flying spider

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

before i thought about taking a pic, i electrical taped it to the door and smoshed it , so pics are useless sorry.

Sam

is never gonna give you up Elenril's Avatar

*panics*
    AAAAHHHHH FLYING SPIDERS!! IT'S LIKE MY WORST NIGHTMARE COME TRUE!! Soon they'll mutate even more AND GROW BIGGER AND BIGGER AND BIGGER UNTIL THEY TAKE OVER THE WORLD.

*shudder* I HATE spiders. Thanks for telling me they can now fly. This is going to haunt my dreams.

Click for my dA page

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW
    Never leave a bright orange case outside. Magpies will attempt to gang rape it.

they only fly in Australia so ur safe in your dreams but when u wake up

ontopic it was a really cool spider, the way it moved, hope someone can find my spider on the web :p

sam

Jumping spiders of Australia!

Moth mimics spider! Sorry, that one lives in Costa Rica...

Gliding Spider!

The Peacock spider or Gliding spider (Maratus volans) is a species of jumping spider. The red, blue and black colored males have flap-like extensions of the abdomen with white hairs that can be folded down. They are used for display during mating: the male expands and raises the flaps so that the abdomen forms a white-fringed, circular field of color. When the spider jumps he extends the flaps and uses them to glide through the air as far as 20 cm. His size is betwen 4 and 5 mm.
    The species, and indeed the whole genus Maratus have been compared to peacocks in this respect.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyse a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects"

Robert A. Heinlein

What is it with this place and bugs?

Hairspray + lighter = bug napalm.

well i see these spiders outside on the side of my house on the bricks, there about the size of a ant and they are black and white.

they can jump a good distance.

was this what you saw? its located in South Australia

here is your flying spiders
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

I mod everything I touch. Indybird's Avatar

this sounds kinda similar to this one I was dealing with. It did the exact same thing that you said, except it made a "pop" sound every time it jumped. I am not even joking-this was really weird. It eventually jumped out the window, but not before it scared me and then confused me. This one was real small, about 5mm like you said. Since you're in Canada and I'm in Michigan, this could very well be the same spider...

-Indybird

Im in Australia if that was aimed at me, But anyway, It wasnt any of the pictures i have seen. It had abit of red on the top but all the australian jumping spiders that have red, wornt it. Also if this helps when i squished it, green came out of it

Sam