Thread: Review: GK Music Ultraphones

Default Review: GK Music Ultraphones

This is my review for the GK-Ulraphones. I purchased them about a month ago and have been impressed 100% with them.

Stats
    Sound Isolation: 29 db
    Impedance: 63 Ohms
    Frequency Response: 10-20,000 Hz
    Price: $220 USD

Some background
    These headphones are the combination of these Sony Pro MDR-7506 Headphones with these industry standard ear muffs. They are the creation of Gordy Knudtson, a professional drummer that has played with the likes of Steve Miller and Jevetta Steele. I was looking to buy some really nice headphones so I started to search the internet. I read a lot of the same stuff. People would recommend this or that on different forums and people would debate which headphones were the best for what situations. In all my searching I would often find one post with a link and a recommendation for "Ultraphones," and the poster would say that they were the best headphones they had ever used. Generally, there would be little response to the post.

I went to the site and looked at headphones. $220 is a lot of money to spend on headphones, but because I had only hear good things about them, I purchased them. Five days later they came in the mail.

Here's the box.

Open it up and we see that they have been carefully wrapped in bubble wrap.

The headphones come with a case to hold them in. This is something that I thought would be a useless bonus, but it is actually a whole lot more useful than I expected. It seems that I don't take the headphones anywhere without bringing the case for them as well.

Here they are out of the case.

Impressions
    They looked good and I was excited to use them. I noticed that there was a somewhat bad smell coming from the headphones as well. Inside the box was a note that explained that the smell is a glue/sealant that Gordy uses to seal the headphones up after he makes them, and that it would go away after it had cured. I've had them a month and the smell is barely noticeable now. I'm sure it will be gone in the next month. They are comfortable, and when I've sat for several hours of work or gaming, my head hasn't started to hurt as with many other headphones I've used.

It took me a minute to figure out that you screw off the 1/4 inch jack to reveal the 1/8 inch hidden underneath. This is way better than an adapter in my opinion. I can plug into my computer and then screw off the tip for my mp3 player.

I have a small complaint. The cord is long. It is about 5-6 ft compressed and can easily stretch to over 10+ ft. This can be a good thing, but I find that I have to wear the extra cord like a robe or toga when I do things like mow the lawn. This comes in really handy however, when recording, or when listening to music while working by the computer. I can walk all around the room with no worries of running out of cord.

Listening to music is great. I hear things I've never heard before in songs that I've heard a hundred times before. The sound is amazing. My head shakes when I play songs with a lot of bass. The best part is that they block out 29db of sound. When wearing these headphones, I cannot hear anything except the sound produced by the headphone drivers.

Games are more involved, and I might as well be wall hacking. I can hear and pinpoint locations while wearing these. They add suspense in scenes where you can hear the zombies (or other enemy) hiding below.

One of the great things about these headphones is the fact that they protect your hearing. It is comforting to know that I can have the volume at a low "5" while I mow the lawn. I can hear my music fine and my ears aren't be damaged by the mower's engine noise. I do not want to be deaf like every old man I have ever met, and I can protect my hearing this way.

I should note that they are very big. If you want to listen to your music and you want to be inconspicuous, then these aren't the headphones for you. Here is a picture of me wearing the headphones. They really are giant.

Final Thoughts
    If I could make one change to the GK-Ultraphones, it would be to have another 1/4 inch jack in the headphone itself. This way I could interchange cords to different lengths for different uses. Because of the handmade nature of these headphones, I'm sure that if I asked Mr. Knudtson to make a pair with a 1/4 inch jack in the headphone and a separate cord, that he would accommodate. Other than that one thing, I am 100% sold on these headphones. I would recommend them to anyone.

Pros
    Amazing sound
    Near complete isolation
    Protects your ears from damaging noise pollution
    No "white noise" like noise-canceling headphones
    1/4 and 1/8 inch jack included
    Long Cord+

Cons
    Very Big
    A little pricey
    Long Cord-

http://www.gk-music.com/ultraphones.htm

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Default Re: Review: GK Music Ultraphones

Hay! You don' luk lahk an unday-edd pah-rit tah may!

Nice review dude, those headphones would be kick ass for while mowing the lawn or something like that. +rep

I'm a little disappointed in the lack of view and response in this. I worked kinda hard on it. Other stuff has had more views and responses. Oh well. Maybe I should create an emoticon that says "This thread is worthless, even with pics." Ah, just kidding. haha.

Do you have a second life?

They look like good headphones and you made a great review + rep.
    I want a new set of headphones, but $220 USD i can't pay that or more i wouldn't pay that. Big headphones, thats sort of bad, can't lay in bed with them on, or sleep with them lol. But long cord, sounds good .

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by xRyokenx View Post
    [COLOR="DarkGreen"]Hay! You don' luk lahk an unday-edd pah-rit tah may!
    LMAO! Took me a while to sound it out.

Great Review d_Stil, but those things are gargantuan . I bet they sound good though.

I've got a set of Behringer headphones that are similar in size, and I agree that the long cord can be a pain sometimes, but it really does come in handy. For me, the ability to plug into my guitar amp and use the headphones as a monitor while playing along to a drum kit is stellar.

I agree that $220 is a bit pricey, but if they sound good, then it's worth it.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

I subscribed to this thread. BigJohnson's Avatar

Great review. +Rep. I have one question that I didn's see an answer for. Do they breathe. The real issue I have with spending big money on such nice headphones is that once you wear them for a while your head sweats so much you can't bear to put them back on.

I would say no they don't breathe while on your head, but I've never really had problems with that part of my face sweating, and sweat isn't going to make its way into the headphones while they are on your head.

ATX Mental Case

quick note, for there purpose that price is GOOD, but if I were going to buy a set of high end personal monitors, I'd be looking in the $500+ range. so this is a pretty good find.