Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Above Freezing Water Chiller?

Default Re: Above Freezing Water Chiller?

Well, that raises an intresting point. I did some brief reconnaissance on rads and they all appear to have copper tubes in them. Maybe it was just the few i looked at. Anyway, that reservoir is extruded aluminum. Problem? Does the anodizing protect the metal and stop the reaction?

Also, what wattage peltier would best suit this? Ebay has peltiers as low as 43 watts. Off my judgment, i would asume a 90watt peltier would be ideal. I am however no expert.

Remember Remember, The 5th Of November.

the higher the wattage the better, unless you plan on stacking several tec's.

I would get one ~130 watts anything below 100 is just barely going to show any effect.. and i mean less then 5 degree's

After reading more into tec's i actually dont think this is a good idea.. but what ever floats your boat

i would look at the amout of heat the cpu and gpu you want puts out. at least match the wattages for the both. if you are going to do this i would get everything but the rad and see if you would need it or not. if you do just buy it after. i'm thinking since its painted and anodized it should be find from corrosion but not 100% on that.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Custom Title Honors

Thought I would throw my 2cents worth in here. Please use this as reference only as I am also no expert with this.

I have used a 75W TEC to cool my P4 2.0Ghz to 27C idle. When I went to remove it after testing, I found condensation. If you are just cooling the processor through a res. (like it was said above somewhere) you aren't going to have much to cool so you will have below ambient water (depending on pump speed/tubing size) cooling the processor. Personally I don't think you would need a huge TEC to do this and had actually looked into it a little myself but most everyone says it is not worth it and to just get a good water cooling or a TEC with the proper wattage and put it directly onto the CPU. If the right TEC is used, you can cool it enough and prevent condensation. Along with that put the water cooling on the hot side of the TEC.

Hope this helps...if not I shared it anyways.

Good Luck!

Ya, I don't really agree with this either, but...This seems like what he wants to do so I will give all the input I can on it. But I agree with the concept that you would be better off just putting the tec on the cpu itself. Less hastle, better performance. But if he can do it the way he wants and it works well enough (as energy inefficient as it may be) then all the power to him, and he'd be doing it as he goes along, making something new, instead of just slapping it together. So Im here to help!

Custom Title Honors

I'm all for you trying it if you have the time and money to do it. Save me from trying to find both of those to try it myself. When I used the TEC directly on my processor. I was using the OE Intel HS with a TT Fan. I didn't overclock anything but thought it was pretty cool that it got that low. I just quickly read through here and don't remember if you said what setup you were going to do this on. If it is anything somewhat new (C2D). As far as my understanding they run cooler then most older procs. I would just do the TEC on proc with water cooling the hot side of the TEC. Just my opinion, but good luck and hope to see some pics!

Ya, Im not doing it, i was just helping out with ideas and criticism . If this does go into action def make a worklog though...anyone who tries it.

well once i get some money and i get my water cooling loop i might look into doing something like this. i would just make my own copper res and strap one down on it.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Well, an unexpected series of events has occured and i need to buy a new car. I'll have to put this on hold for a month or so. I was going to get a waterblock for my grafix card aswell and thats whats holding this back. I need the waterblock before i think about chilling the water. I hope i can get a TEC fairly cheap and the res is only like $30 so it shouldnt take me too long to dig up some scratch. I'm getting a credit card soon but who knows how long thats going to take. So, one thing at a time. I'll definitly keep you guys updated.

This seems so original, this seems so right.

So many cool computer mods...so little money...damn!

"If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough!"