Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: bought me a laptop

Default Re: bought me a laptop

Ya it is a bit of a no-brainer i suppose, There is already a city in brazil somewhere that has loaded their routers up with linux and done this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

Quote Originally Posted by calumc View Post
    Ya it is a bit of a no-brainer i suppose, There is already a city in brazil somewhere that has loaded their routers up with linux and done this.
    Find a link?

Ive just googled for the last half an hour and cant find it. Dont have a clue where I saw it!
    But wat they had done was created a honeycomb effect with routers throughout the area with only a couple actually connected to a line.
    I'll let you know if I ever come across the article again
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

Ive just googled for the last half an hour and cant find it. Dont have a clue where I saw it!
    But wat they had done was created a honeycomb effect with routers throughout the area with only a couple actually connected to a line.
    I'll let you know if I ever come across the article again
    DIG MAN DIG >>>> I LIKE THIS lol

Really though that is where the future is .. and open-source Linux firmware-hacks for routers to achieve it will probably be where it starts.

getting closer.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_mesh_network

look at the external links at the bottom, it mentions a few projects including the brazilian one i mentioned, it links to a portugese page though.

look at the external links at the bottom, it mentions a few projects including the brazilian one i mentioned, it links to a portugese page though.
    Good link thanks Calum +rep.

Sherlock Holmes just advised me that it could possibly be because they speak Portuguese in Brazil that a Portuguese website appears. On his advice I visited babelfish and google translation services. By jove Watson, he was on the ball:

Babelfish told me:

"Wayflex telecom offers to the best way you to have its right connection InterNet of high speed with quality and prices.

The not qualified flexibility that the access without wire provides to allow that using of last mile, lines and that they search a service more efficient, flexible and economic can have access the InterNet of high speed with quality.

Domestic users now can sail in the InterNet in broad band, without wire, counting on a professional structure of access.

Corporative users also can be benefited with our technology, connecting external branch offices, agents and customers. In partnership with the most respected companies of the segment."

~o~ (translation ends - note for those who can't tell the difference between me writing English and a computer doing it)

Google told me pretty much the same thing but with a slightly less humorous translation hence I shan't trouble you with the details.

In short this is the sort of thing I'm thinking of but not managed by corporates, managed by user groups.

Get 100 or 1000 people in one area of a city to bang their routers up with one of the linux distro's then throw in a three or four T3 connections and bob (and his anarcho-communist buddies) are your aunties next-to-free-ISP.

I have a vision: We will sail in the InterNet of broadband for next to a nothing and putting up two fingers in the general direction of the capitalista pigs (except the one's we buy the T3 connections from ).

CrazyB

EDIT: PS Further research tells me the price they are charging of 49.90 Brazilian Real, or £13.65, a month is probably beyond these good folk of Rio de Janeiro.

Now here's an interesting community project: Gather a load of "redundant" hardware and go "wire the slums" - wirelessly, of course.

The original thing that I found was actually a project set up by an organisation in a very poor area of a brazillian city to give them free internet.
    I shall keep looking!!!!!

There's an amazing mesh network project going on in Tibet as well.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    There's an amazing mesh network project going on in Tibet as well.
    Are you thinking about this in Dharamsala? If so, although being lead by the Tibetan Government in Exile, .... it's actually in India .. but it IS amazing and just the sort of thing I was thinking of - not only for the slums of Rio - but as being the next generation of network everywhere.

I find it hard to believe that the heavily repressive Chinese Government that rules over its Tibetan colony would allow anything as anarchic as a mesh network to be developed. They don't even let kids in Beijing look at the net without it going through a government firewall and filter.

http://tibtec.org/ That's the one alright.

Pretty neat stuff. Solar powered-linux hacked-Linksys routers are the primary hardware.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro