Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I can't host any games because of my router

Custom Title Honors

Default Re: I can't host any games because of my router

What games are you trying to do(I know you said any)? I have the same router and haven't had any issues with it. I host/have hosted CS servers and it works. I've had some issues but usually get it worked out. I wouldn't recommend doing DMZ though.

Quote Originally Posted by SgtM View Post
    That's kind of a dangerous suggestion. Although it will work, it's also opening his computer up to all the nasties the internets can throw at him. Trust me, port forwarding is the way to go.
    windows firewall prevents the content you want to get out from getting out, i hate the thing. if you love firewalls, there are many good ones out there, but if you are running through a router all you really need is a good antivirus program and youll stay clean. the better thing still is to run your internet through another computer on the network, keeps you nice n safe. especially if the machine infront of you is and old hag.
    i''ve never found any need to try or use port forwarding, any other suggestions as to why it is a preferred method?
    Peace, love and Anarchy!

Custom Title Honors

I've never had a problem with the windows firewall. When something is trying to get through it, I get a window that pops up asking to allow or deny it. From what I've done with my router. Doing DMZ turns off the firewall all together leaving any and all PC's exposed to the internet. Port forwarding is only opening the ports needed. I find it more comforting knowing that I still have a firewall and anti-virus then just anti-virus. Plus if you are running a free anti-virus, they don't always catch everything. They are free for a reason.