Thread: Improving the vegetable oil case

How much faster can you render the bsod? Ap1thy's Avatar

Default Improving the vegetable oil case

I was thinking while i was bored in school today and remembered an aluminum case I saw on frozencpu that had heatsinks built into the case. I remembered the vegetable oil vids on youtube and i was just wondering if a vegetable oil solution would work on a case like that, have the top act as a raditator of sorts and the case would be all aluminum so heat tranfer would be obviously a lot better than in an acryl case. Just have to mount the disk drives on top because the oil would get inside and mess up the motors

dont have the money to do such a thing or feel like risking my new computer but its an idea

Default Re: Improving the vegetable oil case

this one?

i think it wouldn't be worth the hastle trying to water/oil proof that thing.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

How much faster can you render the bsod? Ap1thy's Avatar

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/63...-1K614-A1.html

that one... i agree it would be a pain, even for this one. itd be better to just make a case from scratch, i was just trying to give an example of the fins on top

Your best bet with a case like that is putting plex or some non-reactive(non-ferrous) metal over the fan grills and caulking it into place.
    Also, make sure and caulk around the window.
    Before you caulk the card slots in, install your mobo and vid/sound/whatever card setup.

Use marine caulk, like they do for fish tanks. It will hold, won't degrade in the solution and is designed to be a great sealant against leaks.

Oh, and DO NOT USE plant-based oils! They will turn after a few weeks and become rancid. You will get some nasty, nasty smells & floaters in your solution.
    Use mineral oil instead. Since it isn't derived from plant matter, it will stay good for a long time and won't degrade or separate.

Consider cutting/removing the top of the case for easy access to fill.

When doing your first fill, put down a towel or several layers of absorbent material. Oil leaks are nasty. They're horrible when it's a seal at the bottom of the case and it's full.
    It's a good idea to keep a tub during your first fill or two just in case it leaks and you need a quick place to let it run out.
    Then, wipe it all down extremely well, remove the caulk around the leak, recaulk, and retry. It requires a lot of patience and a good set of nitrile gloves work wonders in keeping all that oil off your hands. Just be careful handling components, your hands are slick and it's easy to drop them. Oil all over your floor or clothes isn't much fun.

Do not use ball bearing fans, they will burnout sooner than sleeve fans in immersion cooling.
    You don't need a processor fan. You do need a fan that moves the oil around. A sleeve high-cfm 120mm fan will do well enough, just make sure to test it in the oil before turning everything on. You don't want to literally fry your machine to death.

I hope this helps. Immersion cooling makes a lot of people trepid. It's not difficult, just time consuming and can be very messy. Good luck.