Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: attn fellow car nuts! need help choosing.

I got rid of my floppy disks Xpirate's Avatar

Default Re: attn fellow car nuts! need help choosing.

I agree with Bucko on this. Only you can make this determination.

This truck might have a plastic gear like mine did. You might want to change it anyway. My plastic gear broke at 120,000 miles. If it is missing some of the plastic teeth, it could have easily jumped time.

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by Bucko View Post
    To answer your original question, should you dump it or should you keep it.
    That depends.
    Is it what you really want?
    How easy is it to come by a better one? Sometimes spending more to begin with is cheaper than buying a "cheap" car.
    Do you really have the patience to see through all the fiddly boring **** that needs doing, not just the fun stuff to work on?

Sorry to answer your question with more questions, but they should at least help you decide for yourself what you should do.
    I've learnt the hard way when I should have dumped something earlier and not spent as much, or sold something too cheap because I had too. You start to learn after the 22nd or 23rd car...
    well I'm on car 5 even though I've never had one on the road LOL... and I appreciate your answer I believe I was actually looking more for that answer than anything, someone who knows, giving me the soulsearching input that would help me get a handle on what I'm dealing with, I've decided to try a few things, if they don't work I'll rip the engines front end and valve covers off, and decide whats really wrong with it, once I know that I can make my final decision.

to xpirate, I also appreciate the response all the gears on the truck are metal, so that eliminated that, BUT, it could still be the same problem, it would just end up being the pushrods or pistons that are busted, pushrods = ok pistons = ender. other than that everything else should go smoothly. I'll be ripping it down today and tommorrow, and I'll be home to get parts tommorrow, if it's worth it.

thanks again guys I'll post up tommorrow with my results.

ATX Mental Case

manages to get the valve covers off and pulled a spark plug, verified the valves are closed on compression, looks like my plugs are dead, I'll grab a set and try it, if that doesn't work my compression is probly gone so that'll be the end of it. thanks again for thehelp.

Did you use Champion spark plugs? I ask because they have a tendency to break. I've seen all 8 Champion plugs on a V8 engine just stop working.

unless you have alot of time and money i would get a different everday driving car
    Ferrari.. True Momentum

ATX Mental Case

well sparkplugs will tell the whole truth.

ATX Mental Case

IT RUNS!!!! it was the dist cap >.<

Good. That is a whole lot cheaper than other things that could have been wrong with it.