Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: attn fellow car nuts! need help choosing.

ATX Mental Case

Default attn fellow car nuts! need help choosing.

well... I've got a ford f-100 pickup, I bought for 400, put about 300 into it, and it was almost ready for the road, just needed tom body work... suddenly out of nowhere it just won't start, I've ruled out everything except the timing chain/gears. problem is it costs at least 50 bucks to do it all if I replace only the gears and gaskets >.< as I near the thousand dollar mark I'm wondering if it's becoming a money pit :-/

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2460732/1

theres the site, the checklist is there pretty much telling you what the deal is on whats left to do, as you can see from the pics I've done alot to it in the past year so the question is:

1. do I keep working on it because it would be a shame after all this time and effort?
    or
    2. do I dump it before I spend anymore money on new problems?

Greco101

Default Re: attn fellow car nuts! need help choosing.

did it jump timing? If so that's an easy fix.

I got rid of my floppy disks Xpirate's Avatar

Take the valve cover off and see if the valves are moving when you try to start the engine. It still might not be a broken chain. It will usually sound like it lost compression if this happens.

The plastic gear on my old pick-up broke and I had to put on a new cylinder head because the valves hit the pistons. I could get by with just grinding the other cylinder head's valve seats.
    Last edited by Xpirate; 10-08-2007 at 10:23 AM. Reason: more information

ATX Mental Case

I've had the distributor out and I cleaned it up didn't fix anything so I'm sure the cam is moving, kuz the fuel pump is pumping and the points are sparking in order, if the chain jumped it still means seals gaskets chains and gears, and likely that I've got some valve clearance issues.... it was so weird, I started it up to move it forward, *it started up fine* then the battery died, which was normal because I needed a new battery anyway (got one) but I put the new battery in and It just wouldn't seem to puff or anything... I thought maybe it was the ground, but we tried jumping it off a van with a 950 cca battery, grounded directly to the engine, still nothing. so I'm thinking I've got no compression or the timing is off, I really hope it's timing, because I can't afford to rebuild an entire engnie... (or buy one for that matter)

Greco101

So... it's turning over, getting gas and has spark? Just not hitting?

Are you 110% sure you put the distributor back in the exact position?

ATX Mental Case

120% :-p

the engine quit before I even adjusted the distributor. :-/

ATX Mental Case

I'm also thinking it could be the starter missing teeth on the flywheel, but if that was the case it should still be trying to fire every now and again. I'll double check my ground, maybe I burned the ground and it's just not sparking hot enough?

Greco101

Have you tried shooting it with starting fluid?

ATX Mental Case

yup

Austral Alien

To answer your original question, should you dump it or should you keep it.
    That depends.
    Is it what you really want?
    How easy is it to come by a better one? Sometimes spending more to begin with is cheaper than buying a "cheap" car.
    Do you really have the patience to see through all the fiddly boring **** that needs doing, not just the fun stuff to work on?

Sorry to answer your question with more questions, but they should at least help you decide for yourself what you should do.
    I've learnt the hard way when I should have dumped something earlier and not spent as much, or sold something too cheap because I had too. You start to learn after the 22nd or 23rd car...