Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Z5500's getting closer :o)

Default Re: Z5500's getting closer :o)

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    why are you using Cat5 cable instead of twisted pair wire? I have had the Z5500 Digital for a couple years now running coaxial from my HTPC. They are OK speakers, nothing uber.
    The twisted pairs in the cat5(e) work great in lower power applications. All I did was seperate about 4 inches of the ends of the cables, and split the solid colors and the stripes into + and -. This way, there are 4 twisted pairs in each cable.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    The twisted pairs in the cat5(e) work great in lower power applications. All I did was seperate about 4 inches of the ends of the cables, and split the solid colors and the stripes into + and -. This way, there are 4 twisted pairs in each cable.

Yeah but how far away are the sattelite speakers from eachother? So you had to splt the sheath on the Cat5 the same distance as the spread between any two satellites?

Your speakers are 4" apart? Do explain...
    In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey.

I'm using a seperate run of cat5 to each speaker. 4 solid colors to the + terminal, and 4 striped colors to the - terminal, on each speaker.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

Sooo...you have twice the ammount of wire you need for each speaker...tell me where that makes sense.

I have 4 times the number of twists in the wire / foot then regular twisted pair speaker wire, and cat5 is 12c/foot for me to buy, vs however much monster cable would cost.

Plus, having tested the cat5e vs monster cable speaker wire on my setup, the cat5e cables sounded much better.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

im with crimson with this one, my bro has them speakers, he's just using standard speaker wire, it does the trick.

Whats with you using networking cable for speaker wire?

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

D'Oh

It's using more parallel conduits for the current to pass.. If each wire has a certain resistance, then 4 of them in parallel have a muuuch lower resistance. Or, because current is conducted only superficially, the wider area means more place for the current to pass, freely. A normal wire would have a filter behavior: high frequencies meet higher resistance and the lower end can't get that much power in a small wire, so it meets resistance too. That's the idea I think behind using multiple cables/wires... I think..

My question still holds, as I have taken a small LAN cable apart: it is made of 8 single copper conductors, less than a millimeter thick.. but the cables I'm using are made of dozens of copper wires, thinner of course, but they amount to a thick, close to 4 mm wire.. Can I get a close-up of the cat 5e? And if anybody has a monster cable.. cut.. a pic of that too?

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

..also, I have tons of cable that I've salvaged from a few locations.

Here's some details..

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

Greco101

I went to walmart, bestbuy, sears and frys... NO 5500s!!

The guy at frys didn't seem to know wtf he was talking about but he mentioned "maybe they are being phased out or logitech is coming out with a new set to replace it." but that doesn't make sense. He said frys did ______ with all of them (I forget which word he used but basically meaning they sent them all back.)

Any ideas wth is going on? or was the guy just a moron?