Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Z5500's getting closer :o)

Greco101

Default Z5500's getting closer :o)

Waiting for this damn laptop to sell so I can order them.

Anyways, I'm going to be prepping a little before they get here and I had a couple questions.

Anyone know how long the wires are? I'd imagine close to the lengths of the 5300's.

Should I keep the stock wires? Or use cat 6 (I believe that's what I read, "being better than monster cables.")

Should I use speaker spikes for the subs? I've seen two main sizes... do spike sizes make a difference? Long
    Short

I mod everything I touch. Indybird's Avatar

Default Re: Z5500's getting closer :o)

In terms of wires it comes with 3x 15' wires and 2x 25' wires. The Cat5e wires apparently a little better. If you want the absolute best out of these speakers, I'd go for it.

I don't get the point of spikes, I just like the woofer and its rubber right against the floor.

By the way, nice speaker pick. You will not be disappointed.

-Indybird

Cat5 wire works just fine, 5e is what I use. You wont need to braid the wires either, the power output isnt high enough to need multiple strands.

I would use a single strand of cat5(or 5e) to each speaker. Separate all the pairs, and join all the solid colors to be the +, and all the striped wires to make the -.

Spikes are not needed for a sub, so I would save your money on those.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Greco101

Which would be best? 5e or 5? What's the difference?

Best deal I've found so far...

The forums on DIYAudio have been debating this for quite awhile.. check this thread.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

why are you using Cat5 cable instead of twisted pair wire? I have had the Z5500 Digital for a couple years now running coaxial from my HTPC. They are OK speakers, nothing uber.
    In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey.

D'Oh

Z5500: nice speakers

Errm.. Sorry to ask in this thread, but for those that may have tested it: how does thick, pure copper, PA type, speaker wire sound compared to the monster or the home-made cables?

I mean, I don't listen to music at high volumes, but when I play music at parties, I usually send close to 200W per output/cable.. cables aren't getting hotter or anything, so they don't seem to have much energy loss

(for those that are new to this: at higher frequencies a cable or conductor with a small outer area/section has its resistance going up up and away because.. an effect I'm not quite sure what it is called in English.. but that's why you use more wires, to have more conduction area, the actual current flow only appearing only superficially, not in all the volume of the wire.. the fact that it is twisted helps a bit with noise rejection, because amplifiers should have differential input, so they only amplify the differences from one wire to the other, in a pair.. no signal appearing on both, like the electrical buzz of the mains should end in your speakers.. usually)

What I'm curious is if it has a difference at low power levels as well as when I go up.. and 200W is not a high power level.. it would be interesting to know if I can get a cleaner sound, at least while people are sober

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

Greco101

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    why are you using Cat5 cable instead of twisted pair wire? I have had the Z5500 Digital for a couple years now running coaxial from my HTPC. They are OK speakers, nothing uber.
    I read somewhere that cat5 was some of the best wire you could use. What gauge twisted wire do you suggest? 16? 12? Would going to big take away from performance? or would it just kind of cap?

I'm still trying to find where i'm going to put the two rears without my gf bitching about them since behind me on the other side of the room would be the T.V.

Professional home/studio audio installers will only use twisted pair wire--not really sure where Cat5 came into the picture. I hid all the wires inside a plastic raceway, the kind with sleeve, cover, self stick adhesive. Looks nice and neat.

Went to Radio Shack and bought 100' feet "speaker wire" boom, its done. Its not a high end system that needs expensive wire. The satellite speakers don't draw that much power, and the woofer has its own heavy cable included.
    Last edited by Crimson Sky; 09-22-2007 at 05:54 PM.
    In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey.

Greco101

Thanks for the link man. I was planing on running the rear speakers under the carpet but that will be great for the center speaker which is what I was mostly worried about visible wire wise.

Just for reference to show how the rear speakers will be a problem with the tv.