Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HDD Squeals More Than My Brother

Default Re: HDD Squeals More Than My Brother

Back it up before the disk check!

Turn it off for awhile, and make sure it's nice and cool before you turn it back on to do the backup. I tried to run a check on a dying disk, and the stress of the disk check cooked the drive.. too much heat = bearings choke.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

That might've been the problem, but I'm still doing a backup real quick... got an external drive. But yeah, I've got a Western Digital SATA on the way from Newegg to replace this, I'll use this one for something else... and check out that warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Back it up before the disk check!

Turn it off for awhile, and make sure it's nice and cool before you turn it back on to do the backup. I tried to run a check on a dying disk, and the stress of the disk check cooked the drive.. too much heat = bearings choke.
    I agree 100% I didn't state that firmly enough earlier but that was what I meant too and why:

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    Backup data you want as XcOM rightly points out - maybe even before running the disk checker.
    Last edited by Crazy Buddhist; 09-08-2007 at 04:34 PM. Reason: spleling

Acronis is running now... just cloning it as it wanted to devoure my DVDs... it's doing it before Windows loads, so heat shouldn't be too much of an issue...

Good man.

Then do the disk check. If it comes up bad print it out. post the formatted disk and printout and purchase proof (forget what the warranty says) to Maxtor with a letter that says

"As a long standing customer and expert computer user I know this disk was faulty when shipped. It must have been as it has been in normal use in a domestic computer for less than two years and was therefore not fit for purpose. Please ship the replacement drive to xxx. Thank you very much. I look forward to enjoying the use of your products for years to come"

Format it first so they don't get to play with your data. They will replace it.

Good man.

Then do the disk check. If it comes up bad print it out. post the formatted disk and printout and purchase proof (forget what the warranty says) to Maxtor with a letter that says

"As a long standing customer and expert computer user I know this disk was faulty when shipped. It must have been as it has been in normal use in a domestic computer for less than two years and was therefore not fit for purpose. Please ship the replacement drive to xxx. Thank you very much. I look forward to enjoying the use of your products for years to come"

i've used that trick a few times, and it worked everytime.

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

Quote Originally Posted by XcOM View Post
    i've used that trick a few times, and it worked everytime.
    Let no one say we Brits don't know our stuff. A polite but insistant letter works wonders eh?

It's all backed up and all now... still takes a good long while to boot up, but at least I don't have to worry about losing *Backup Drive Fails* ... Blink blink.

Just kidding, everything's fine. You can all go home now and get back to what you were doing, lol. Thanks guys.

I actually think this thing is infested too... gonna clean it up as best I can with HouseCall as it wants to reboot when I use my installed stuff... ****ing WWIII but with viruses, blech. I hope this works, but me and my lazy ass can always just do a clean install and redownload all the stuff I had before, mods, MMORPGs, etc.

and if csi has any truth go get some neodymium magnets and play with the harddrive for a couple of minutes.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v