Thread: that xpr 400

Default that xpr 400

has anybody ever used it? Ive found it on ebay real cheap and was wondering if its worth the investment(of about 50 usd). I want a high quality dremel, one not only for mods but maybe heavy duty home repair. Just wondering what you guys thought.

Anodized

If you have the strength/steady hands to use a dremel, then sure.

To be honest, dremels suck for heavy duty case cutting....I know from experience. They're loud, pretty dangerous (I had a cutting disk nearly take out my eye), and aren't as powerful as some other tools.

If you can do it, I'd get a jigsaw for case cutting, but Dremels are VERY useful for home repair stuff like re-edging garden tools (they make a bit for that you know...)

If you can only afford one power tool and 90% of its use will revolve around modding then a Dremel is a pretty good tool (I would personally look into the Black and Decker RTX however) The new model Dremel XPR does not add any significant changes or upgrades to the model below it (395/6) If you can get it via eBay for $50 then its a good price. Just remember
    It is bulky.
    It is not a single handed operation.
    It is NOT steady, it is NOT reversable.
    It has a tendancy to "walk"
    cut off discs break and go flying and aren't ever heard from again.
    They break, easily, and often.
    The brushes\motors are cheaply made.
    It has NO torque.

But if all you need is a power tool for cutting, sanding, deburring then go for it. If you live in the US I would consider going to sears and getting a Craftsman branded version (rebadged dremel) only because Craftsman has a no questions asked warranty, you break it, bring it back and they will replace it, no receipt required as long as it says craftsman on the label.

ATX Mental Case

I've been tempted by the xpr, as my current dremmel is quite old and battered now, shame the xpr cant be sourced in the uk at present
    gordyhand.co.uk

Gordy, look into the black and decker RTX its about half the price, comes with a nice large tool box (yes a tool box not a little case that fits just a dremel) It might spin at 5k rpm less but the large increase in torque over teh dremel more than make up for it. quick release latch, 3 speed thumb switch (also has a variable set it and forget it thingy on the side) it has just one downside, the lowest setting is 8k rpm compared to the dremels 5k but that shouldnt make a big difference unless you are carving\cutting plastic.

ATX Mental Case

I quite like the kit that comes with the xpr the extra flexible head for one. Does the B&D come with that?
    gordyhand.co.uk

You can get the B&D kit with a flex shaft. btw all dremel attachments will fit the B&D

ATX Mental Case

Ah cool nice 1
    gordyhand.co.uk

The One and Only

If the XPR is bulky, cant you attach a flexishaft to it?

Quote Originally Posted by mashie
    If the XPR is bulky, cant you attach a flexishaft to it?
    Yes but the flex shaft isnt meant to take any serious torque, try cutting anything harder than cardboard with it and the internal thingy will snap in half if your lucky or rip right through the "protective" rubber boot if your not. Its meant more for light sanding, grinding, etching in tight places. Dont try to use it for hard cutting or intense grinding.