Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there a way to tweak cable settings?

Greco101

Default Is there a way to tweak cable settings?

^ Soon to be one. Computer-Geek's Avatar

Default Re: Is there a way to tweak cable settings?

http://www.speedguide.net
    Try downloading TCP Optimizer http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php to see if it might help.
    - Computer-Geek

Can I have your internet connection?
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

greco to answer your question it cant. these speeds are set by the cable company and cant be shanged by you
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

Greco101

http://www.speedtest.net/result/177179182.png

It helped but nothing too crazy with upload speeds. Also, it SEEMS slower than before yet the test says different?

EDIT: What crenn says... god damn! Verizon?

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

I'm lucky to see 90kb/s download, but holy hell! Almost 30,000kb/s download?? Thats insane!

Who the heck are you with Computer-Geek? and how much are you paying? lol

*ah, it says Verizon. Duh. lol. I have Verizon DSL, I think I need to upgrade.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Greco101

I didn't even notice that haha. I figured he had verizon... they don't offer it in my area :o(

I'm lucky to see 90kb/s download
    :O

That speed was a joke i thought you would figure it out easily

<< Thats my real speed I wish my internet was as fast as what i posted.
    - Computer-Geek

TCP Optiizer will max out your connection.

You can also do the following:

1/ Make sure the modem is as near to the main phone entry point as possible and not at the end of long internal extensions. If it is at the long of external extentions then solder all the interconnecting joints within your house (with silver solder).

2/ Replace your internal telephone wiring with Cat5/Cat6 Ethernet cable (its shielded standard phone wire is not).

3/ Make sure your telephone wires don't run parallel to electric cables for long lengths.

4/ Download and use DMT to tweak your modem's signal to noise profile and get more that way. This is an experimental procedure that takes time. You need to let the connection settle between ajustments or the modem the other end may take all the reboot's/resyncs as a sign of line instability and try to reverse what you are doing. Make sure you get a DMT version that is compatible with your modem.

At the moment I have the following speed and I haven't completed step 2 above yet. I have done tests that show me my download speed will be nearer 14,000 Kbps once I have ensured my internal wiring is right: thats a 50% speed increase just from ensuring the max efficiency of the internal wiring of my house. People often underestimate this factor.

EDIT: from Verizon:

"4. What affects my connection speed?
    When you connect to the Internet using Verizon FiOS, the speeds that you will experience will vary based on a variety of factors, including the following:

* Configuration of your computer
    * Home networking configuration, number of home computers and other networked equipment using the available bandwidth at the same time
    * Network or Internet congestion
    * Server and router speeds of the Web sites you access
    * Condition of the wiring at your location"

Thought I'd try the same test as you for comparison and as you can see I am getting a 3-5Mb improvement over the average of the users from the same ISP because of the measures I have taken. I am not close to the exchange so that isn't why.

So ... contrary to popular opinion - yes - there is a great deal you can do to max out your line. This was even true in the days of dial up. In the UK telephone systems were set to provide a 1dBa gain between the exchange and the house. If you telephoned BT and asked them nicely they would up the gain on your line to 4. At that point 56K modems connected at 60+ kbps and download speeds upped enormously as there was no packet loss.

CrazyB

ps these results arent fakes lol (and the difference between 1 and 2 is that I forgot I had NOT YET run TCP Optimizer on My Windows XP install: It can make a huge difference.
    Last edited by Crazy Buddhist; 08-27-2007 at 04:01 AM. Reason: spleling + xtra info

Wow thats some good info there CrazyB + rep I cant wait to get off wireless.
    - Computer-Geek