Thread: New Laptop

Blast from the Past

Default New Laptop

I'm deciding on a new laptop.

Is Asus a good brand? I heard that they just use other companies laptops and put a new body on it, but either way, are they a good buy?

I knew the game was up when he played the Jack of Spades...

Default Re: New Laptop

Never heard anything bad about Asus. Usually a good brand.
    Dell do some nice ones too.
    Depends on your budget and what you want it for.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Dell seems to be the best bang for the buck. I have a Dell Inspiron 9200, a obsolete laptop that Dell made in the past, yet, I still love it! It has a weak 1.6Ghz processor that nobody uses anymore (Pentium M?) and a Radeon 9700, but its still powerful enough to do just about anything I want except for some heavy 3D work. So that kind of gives you an idea of what you are looking at, even if you are looking at their cheapest ones. Just make sure you get at least that GPU (I'm pretty sure most of their laptops have even better ones now) and spend the extra $50 on a dual core processor.

If I could get that dual core processor, I don't think I would have to upgrade for some good time. This lil puppy does most of what I want, even light gaming like WoW (plays awesomely) and WarRock (a bit iffy, but does the job). It even plays Oblivion on medium settings (except the crazy magic usage, then you have to drop it to medium/low if not low sometimes).
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

I have an Inspiron 8600 with the 9600 gpu, and it plays WoW also. M1.6ghz, 768mb ram, currently running Vista/XP/Ubuntu in triple boot.

Check out the XPS M1330.. super nice. It's available with LED backlighting for the screen.. thinner/lighter/less power usage than ccfl's.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Blast from the Past

Thanks Scotty.

Ummm, thanks for your support to the Dell fans, but I don't want one. No offense, but I don't like Dell--they put too much crud on their new PC's.

Also, I asked about Asus...but, thanks for your support! I think I'll get the Asus--1376 dollars and I get a great PC tomorrow.

linky

Give you all a looksie.

I knew the game was up when he played the Jack of Spades...

I hope tis isnt too late but I bought my wife a Alienware lappy and it was about 1200 dollars also. I just built one on their site with basically the same thing as the ASUS on your link except with a larger screen and a CORE 2 DUO T5550 and it was 1239.00. I am pretty sure that it would be FASTER than the amd.
    Asus P5Bdeluxe(vdroopmod),E6600@ 3.6 (24/7),BFG8800GTS320mb@ 729/1102mhz,Mushkin XP8500@ 1000mhz (24/7), WD raptor 36.6gb,Seagate320gb,FSP 700W psu,655 pump,Storm cpu block(modified),MCW60 GPU block,MCW30 on the NB,PA120.3&120.1(single loop)19"Viewsonic,Logitech speakers,Saitek eclipse,and whats left of an old lian li case