Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think i killed vista...

Dude...totally!

Default I think i killed vista...

So i was swapping HDDs because San Andreas wasn't wanting to work with Vista, so i disconnected my SATA Vista drive and hooked up a regular ol' IDE. I installed XP on the IDE drive just fine, installed San Andreas, etc. But the other day I went to switch it back after about a week of not using the Vista drive, and to my horror, I found the drive to be unformatted. I have a bunch of crap on there that is replaceable, so if I can't get it back, thats fine. Either way, I can't figure out what happened, nor have i figured out how to fix it without first having to purchase software(I can't find any freeware).

Any and all help is much appreciated. ^_^

Default Re: I think i killed vista...

You can try to boot the computer with both drives attached, and then run the windowsxp checkdisk app on the vista drive to see if it can recover it.

Also, try to boot the vista drive attached to diff sata ports on your mobo.. could be an issue with that too..

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Dude...totally!

It doesn't even see that the drive is formated when i load it up in XP. I tried a free app that looked for deleted files, and amazingly it scanned the unformated drive.

Sadly, it found nothing. I seriously cant figure out what happened to this drive. From what I've read, my best guess is that the partition table is corrupted, but i haven't tried to scan the drive with that intent due to the fact that all software i could find wasn'e at least $50. I plan to scan the drive with such a program, because the trail versions apparently scan to see if anything is recoverable. I may be forced to buy something to get that all back. I realized I had transfered a bunch of pics and videos off my phone, so I really need that drive now. -_-

...but there will be time for that later.

Today, I get to go see Slayer and Marilyn Manson.

...I think thats prolly the best possible way to relieve all this built up stress...

Disconnect the IDE drive and try to boot up from the SATA drive.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Dude...totally!

it doesn't boot, it doesn't appear formatted no matter what i do

Was it near any type of magnets at all?
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Dude...totally!

i never even took it out of the case, i just unplugged the power and sata cable

Overclocked

i had that problem change the boot order and you can use that drive agian..

Dude...totally!

that isnt the problem at ll. it does not appear to be formated when loaded in any OS. if i try to access it, it jusrt asks me to format.

I got a demo program that looks for basically all info on every last bit of the drive, even if its unformated. I ran it for a while before i left my house for the night, and it had already located over 300,000 files that still exist on the drive. The thing that sucks is, i cannot restore the files in the demo verison, i have to register it, and thats $60.

I also have the issue of the fact that the drive is 320 gigs, and it was about 2/3 full. If it doesn't allow the actual restoration of files on the drive itself, ill prolly have to wipe a bunch of my 40 gig drives and use those as temporary stoage until I reformat the 320 gig SATA drive.

have you tried booting from a live linux disk? this will give you a definitive answer whether or not it is formatted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.