Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much ram with vista?

Overclocked

Default How much ram with vista?

Ok i currently dual boot with windows xp pro 32 bit and vista home premium 64 bit

now i currently have

core 2 e6600
    Gskill dr800 2x 1gig
    evga 8600 gts superclocked

and i was wondwering if its worth it to upgrade to another 2 sticks of gskill ram or will the preformance not be worth it.. i currently use xp for my older games and vista for dx10 games...

Default Re: How much ram with vista?

As it's 64 bit Vista will love 4gigs.
    Even 32 bit can be improved with having 4gb installed even thought it can't access it all.
    The performance increase in Vista will be a good bit i expect, not some much in XP. But your graphics card will limit you in games.

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

At least 2gb if you want it to run... it takes about 600-700mbs RAM even when idling. It's amazing that they sell **** with 512mb RAM and Vista... idiots.

512? i've seen 256mb in a vista machine :o
    My mate bought one with Vista ultimate with 768MB haha, i lol'd. He couldn't do anything really.

I've seen some funny things with Vista, the more RAM you have the more it uses whilst idling. But when a program needs more RAM vista gives it some. really makes no sense atall.

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    My mate bought one with Vista ultimate with 768MB haha, i lol'd. He couldn't do anything really.

I've seen some funny things with Vista, the more RAM you have the more it uses whilst idling. But when a program needs more RAM vista gives it some. really makes no sense atall.

well the more you put in the more it uses for caching but once you start useing a program that needs it's souposed to transfer it over.. i noticed that with 2 gigs it seems to eat my ram.. 8600 gt superclocked isnt that bad of a card for 200 bucks..

ATX Mental Case

i didnt have a problem running vista with 1 gig for a while, but eventully i put in 2 so i could run my games at higher resolutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post

I thought the bare minimum for RAM was 512 MB

Vista is a graphics hog.

It attracts you with it's flashy looks, but underneath all its shiny coatings and its pretty programs, it's the worst OS ever.
    Coffee is love, coffee is life.

I run Vista Business on this laptop with 768mb.. startup sucks, but it runs fine once it (finally) starts.

The Source by Circuit City (aka Radioshack) sells some laptops with Vista Ultimate and 512mb. AND.. if you want to upgrade to 1gb you have to SHIP IT TO THE MANUFACTURER, and WAIT 2-4 WEEKS. (or they say that you void the warranty!!!!)

Yeah, right. I'll get right on that.. thanks.

"Mom, go to Memory Express to buy a laptop."

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    I thought the bare minimum for RAM was 512 MB

Vista is a graphics hog.

It attracts you with it's flashy looks, but underneath all its shiny coatings and its pretty programs, it's the worst OS ever.
    Dunno. But it was for sale in the worlds worst PC store... PC World.

I ran Vista Business Premium on my PC for a couple of day to see how it was. IT IS A MEMORY HOG !!!

@HAHA49 I WOULD FOR SURE BUY TWO MORE STICKS
    Asus P5Bdeluxe(vdroopmod),E6600@ 3.6 (24/7),BFG8800GTS320mb@ 729/1102mhz,Mushkin XP8500@ 1000mhz (24/7), WD raptor 36.6gb,Seagate320gb,FSP 700W psu,655 pump,Storm cpu block(modified),MCW60 GPU block,MCW30 on the NB,PA120.3&120.1(single loop)19"Viewsonic,Logitech speakers,Saitek eclipse,and whats left of an old lian li case