Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 131819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Doom3: Project Mars City (Comments Only)

Fresh Paint

Default Re: Doom3: Project Mars City (Comments Only)

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky
    Yeah I've been spraying on a clear matte finish after weathering with the powders to seal it all in.
    Good stuf I am a model maker myself with lots airbrush experiance and i've been thinking about making a pc case. your work is certainly a inspiration as most mods dont really have any intricate painting

Hey Crimson, Good work on the case, it's easily my favourite. I have a question for you though. What do you use to cut and shape the styrene for the armour plating? You get really straight cuts and I was just wondering how you do it?

I use an alum straight edge and utility knife--score the styrene and then snap to make a pretty clean cut. Sometimes a file helps correct the edge and make it perfect. For intricate cuts I use a Dremel scroll saw. You can make intricate angle cuts in styrene as long as you make "easment" or release cuts (scored all the way to the edges of the sheet) to help when snapping the part clean--in say a triangle piece or a rhombus. There is a bit of waste for intricate parts, but the material is really cheap when ya buy big sheets--about $15-25 USD for a 4x8 foot piece
    Last edited by Crimson Sky; 12-06-2005 at 03:43 PM.
    In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey.

Anodized

Holy crap dude, that stuff is 1337!

Very nice ideas and very nice designs! I cannot wait to see the finishing product for this 1. Great work!

Crimson, thanks for answering my question but heres another one. I've bought some styrene for a mod I'm doing atm but I don't think its the same as you use. I bought it form a model shop and it was called styrene. The thing is it's glossy, whereas as far as I can tell from your pics the stuff you get isn't. I think I've bought the wrong thing, please shed some light?

Fresh Paint

Hi!

Could you explain more about the top of the building...
    What did you use and how?

Thnx

Quote Originally Posted by [D]ark[A]cid
    Crimson, thanks for answering my question but heres another one. I've bought some styrene for a mod I'm doing atm but I don't think its the same as you use. I bought it form a model shop and it was called styrene. The thing is it's glossy, whereas as far as I can tell from your pics the stuff you get isn't. I think I've bought the wrong thing, please shed some light?

Polystyrene--styrene------same stuff when it comes to model building and prototype making material. You probably bought the thin stuff.. I've seen the 0020" styrene thats pretty shiny--there really is no difference, its the same material but thinner, and the manufacturer just buffed it. I use mostly 0030-0080" material purchased from www.usplastics.com. Polystyrene is such an incredibly flexible material on a molecular level, that many many different characteristics can be put into it when its manufactured--it can be made light andf fluffy, as in a styrofoam drinking cup, or super strong as in the plastic your keyboard is made from.

The modern world would not be what it is without this plastic--it's in just about everything except a cheese samich
    Last edited by Crimson Sky; 12-12-2005 at 01:28 AM.
    In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey.

ATX Mental Case

wishing i hadn't slept through chemistry right about now :p hehe
    where are you?

fact: different = abnormal
    observation: everyone is different, therefore everyone is abnormal
    conclusion: there is no normal, express yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky
    The modern world would not be what it is without this plastic--it's in just about everything except a cheese samich
    Aye, but what marvelous creation holds our cheese samich's? thats right, plastic.

Hello new to the forums been reading the posts and I was just wondering if you ever got the touch screen to work on the serial port. I have been thinking about getting one for an idea. Beautiful work by the way. I have 12 years as a plug and mold maker and have 16 years custom painting from cars to airplanes so I can understand the time involved in a project like yours. Well keep up the good work.