PDA

View Full Version : Fun day.

NightrainSrt4
07-09-2009, 04:09 PM
Not really. Went to the doctor's for my physical that I need in order to finally have my surgery on the 24th. Well I get there and they tell me my insurance never paid the bill from last appointment, over a year and a half. Great. Then they make me reschedule because in order to get an appointment I am going to have to pay for last one and this one in cash upfront. Yay to coming up with 400$ next week.

I leave and get into my car (2003 SRT-4), and it won't start. I get power, lights, windows, etc but no crank, no turning over, nothing. Just dead silence. Got a new battery, incase, but don't have an extension to reach the bolt, so I use jumpers to connect the new battery to the cars connectors. Nothing, no help. Same deal, power, lights, but nothing when turning the key. AAA towed it back to my place.

So tomorrow I get to spend the day, putting in the new battery, swapping out parts to stock in case I have to take it into the dealership (mostly just intake, but the dealerships are anal). Will check to see if it pops any codes and go from there I guess. Probably pull the carpet up behind the pedals and see if any cables are shot, and check the cables running to the ignition. I get power so it seems like a wiring thing to me, as I just got a new starter last year.

Yay.

TL;DR
- Local doctor decides my insurance isn't good enough 2 weeks before a 100k surgery, even though the surgeons take it fine. Car no turn over, tow home. Screwed. LOLZ

Mark_Hardware
07-09-2009, 04:16 PM
Bummer man. Just think, there's always tomorrow. Of course, tomorrow could be worse.... :think:

NightrainSrt4
07-09-2009, 04:23 PM
Hehe, ya, there is always that.

No, to be honest, the real bummer was that this weekend I was going to my families to bang out a new mod. I've done what I can here, and wasn't going to mention it until it was done.

Oh, well. Tomorrow brings getting greasy instead. I guess that is all similar enough, grease and dremel/steel dust, lol.

Will
07-09-2009, 06:49 PM
Sounds like the ecu thinks you're in gear(auto) or the clutch is engaged (std). Assuming you have the standard, look for a fuse or relay that might control er.. inhibit the starter from spinning. I'm not sure what Dodge calls it ;)

Might also be something like a cam or crank position sensor, but usually the starter will run.

The clutch switch is physically located on the clutch pedal. I guess it wouldn't hurt to make sure it didn't come unplugged ;)

chaksq
07-09-2009, 06:53 PM
Damn that sucks. Gotta hate insurance companies. Dead car has got to be a pain too, although I think it's a cool car. Good luck with everything. I hope your surgery goes smoothly.

NightrainSrt4
07-09-2009, 07:47 PM
Ya, one of the first things I was going to do is make sure all the cabling for the clutch was intact and connected, as the car acts as though I am not pushing the clutch in at all. It is as if you tried just turning the key without the clutch. Then check all the fuses and relays to make sure they are okay.

Going to take a look at Dodge's service manual for it. A friend sent it to me. I'm not sure where you would get that, so I will leave it at that, as I'm not even sure it is legal to have. Idk.

Edit: Looking through the manual seems I need to check the clutch interlock switch.
CONDITION
ENGINE STARTER WON'T CRANK WHEN CLUTCH PEDAL IS PRESSED TO THE FLOOR

POSSIBLE CAUSES
Basically saying the switch isn't getting depressed and to check that

NightrainSrt4
07-10-2009, 05:43 PM
WOOT FIXED!

Spent a couple hours earlier tossing in the new battery, bringing some parts back to stock in case I had to get it towed to the dealership. Checked out the clutch interlock switch and all seemed well. Actually it didn't seem like the bar of the clutch was depressing the button very much, but even pressing it and trying the ignition did nothing. So the button was fine and wasn't the issue.

I was about to check all the fuses and relays and then I was like you know what, let me see if I can get down to the starter. Luckily my arms are quite small as most men wouldn't have been able to get in there. Using some contortionist techniques (no clue what those are, just bent all funky lmfao) I got underneath the intake manifold to the starter and what do you know?, on of the wires was not connected.

For some stupid reason they use just like these thin metal tabs that these little plastic connectors just slide onto. Well it must have slid off after hitting a bump or something, knowing MA city roads. Popped it back in, got everything back together, and what do you know, it starts first try. WOOT!

Happy day, happy day.

Luke122
07-10-2009, 05:56 PM
See? Some sunshine came your way! Positive vibes man..

NightrainSrt4
07-10-2009, 07:36 PM
Ya, positive vibes, some hot sun, and one tired sweaty guy later it was fixed.

After finally getting down and dirty with a lot more of the car than before, I can't believe the money we spent to get a starter put in. Pop 8 bolts off the intake manifold, and pop the cold side pipe off at the throttle body, remove the wires and such, and you have wide open access to the starter.

Live and learn I guess.

Bopher
07-11-2009, 04:38 AM
Glad you go that all fixed. Watch those roads though I watched a dude try to race through a yellow light, hit a pothole and blow out a whole CV axle in Salisbury on time. And I've blown out at least 1 low profile tire going along a back road in Amesbury before and hitting a bump.

Mark_Hardware
07-11-2009, 03:59 PM
Glad to hear you are rollin again man!

NightrainSrt4
07-12-2009, 09:02 PM
Thanks guys. Ya the roads here are pretty terrible. I went home for a day, and my uncle was saying how bads the roads were on Cape, and I was like "I did not even notice. These roads are a like blissful cruise compared to up there", lol.