PDA

View Full Version : I'm Such An Idiot...

billygoat333
05-08-2009, 01:17 AM
I am such a freaking idiot as the thread title suggests. I was gettin into my buddy's hot tub tonight and being the moron that I am, I forgot to take my phone out of my pockets. 5 minutes later, I realized what I had done and took it out of my pocket and took the battery out. The screen is waterlogged, its about 3/4 full of water. Think it is revivable? lol I doubt it too. We'll see if samsung builds as tough as a phone as I hope. I REALLY dont think its gonna work, just gonna try for ****s and giggles.

Anyways, I feel like an idiot and thought I would share my funny story with everyone. :D

Zephik
05-08-2009, 01:20 AM
I've actually done that before. I waited a good couple days before I turned it back on. I wanted to make sure it was as dry as humanely possible. It... kind of.. worked? The screen was a little glitchy and the keys on the right side didn't work. Thank god for voice dialing! lmao

billygoat333
05-08-2009, 01:28 AM
yeah good thing. My phone has bluetooth so I figure I can just get a headset and set up voice dial. or just buy a new phone, verizon has their blackberrys buy one get one free. anyone used the storm? ive read some reviews on it and it got ok reviews, most people like the samsung omnia better. I am not a huge fan of the blackberry's OS but with a touchscreen it might not be too bad.

EDIT: apparently they stopped their bogo free promotion and are just giving away the pearls. I didn't like the pearl all that much (hate texting on it) so thats out.

Oneslowz28
05-08-2009, 07:07 AM
My sister has verizon and her ins covers accidental damage. Don't know if yours does.

BuzzKillington
05-08-2009, 07:21 AM
if u have insurance on the phone call and say it was stolen. Pay the fee then, new phone.

billygoat333
05-08-2009, 08:04 AM
I bought the phone on ebay after my last phone died w/o insurance on it :P

needless to say, my next phone is getting insurance on it lol

Luke122
05-08-2009, 11:20 AM
When this happened to me, I just took the phone apart, and left it on a paper towel over a heat register in my house for a few days. Worked like new again, but I did have to replace the battery due to generally odd behavior. :)

SXRguyinMA
05-08-2009, 11:26 AM
I've gone jet skiing with my phone in my pocket...luckily I remembered before I got wet lol

NightrainSrt4
05-08-2009, 11:34 AM
Put the phone in a sealed container with uncooked rice and leave it for a couple days. It should be enough to draw out most of the moisture built up on the electrical parts of the phone and such.

Edit: Make sure you take out the battery and such so that way its all apart. Also don't try turning it on all the time. Higher chance you will short something out. Just put it in the rice and leave it.

p0Pe
05-08-2009, 12:28 PM
two of my mates i was diving with did similar things... one of the had his phone in his inner pocket, in his dry suit. we tryid to call him under the water and he was like "wtf"
the other dude forgot to take out his hearing devices wich was soaked when he got up xD

Xpirate
05-08-2009, 03:06 PM
My dad revived his after he fell in a lake by taking it apart and using a hair dryer on it. I'm not sure how long the drying process took.

Spawn-Inc
05-08-2009, 06:38 PM
buy some 99% isopropyl alchol and completely soak the phone in it. shake it around and what not. then either take it apart for quicker drying time or let it sit in the rice as mentioned before. the alchol will help evaporate the water quicker.

knowledgegranted
05-08-2009, 11:25 PM
Put it in a bowl of rice for 2 days, it will extract the water out of it...dry rice that is XD.

Drum Thumper
05-08-2009, 11:40 PM
Next time, buy a nokia. They know the way of the samurai.

Sorry to hear that you waterlogged your phone bud.

billygoat333
05-09-2009, 01:22 AM
As everyone has mentioned, my phone is in a bowl of rice since this morning when I got off work, everyone keep their fingers crossed! lol I checked it before I came to work tonight and there is still water behind the screen. i am pretty sure its effed, but hey, its worth a shot.

Spawn-Inc
05-09-2009, 03:46 AM
take it apart so it can dry better. doing it that way will take a week at least.

nevermind1534
05-09-2009, 04:40 PM
Maybe pull the cover off of the screen until it dries out?

billygoat333
05-10-2009, 02:04 AM
take it apart so it can dry better. doing it that way will take a week at least.

I FINALLY found my precision screwdriver and took it apart. the mainboard has this white film all over it. I think it might be from corrosion from the battery? I dunno I didn't have a camera on me so I couldn't take a picture. I will when I get off work. lol might already be fried to the point of futility.

I opened up the screen and out came about 2 tsp. worth of water. lol

Stupid me. Anyone here have the env2? I can get one for 49 bucks. can't decide if thats what I want.

billygoat333
05-10-2009, 09:16 PM
well, being the curious cat that I am, I tried the phone out today, and it turned on!! the only problem is the #6 key is stuck. so every time you hit a button, the number 6 key is pressed too! really annoying. sometimes it sticks. so when you are on a call, all you hear is a key beep. needless to say, I am getting a new phone. lol

Killa_Ape
05-10-2009, 09:51 PM
For the white film you can use electrical/electronic cleaner it cleans it up real nice! Have brought back an item or 2 using it.

billygoat333
05-10-2009, 09:53 PM
thats actually a good idea, didnt think of that. I used good ole fashioned canned air and it got most of the crap off.