PDA

View Full Version : Magnet and generator question

DaJe
03-04-2008, 07:20 PM
So as some of you may know from a previous thread of mine, I am designing and builidng a wind turbine in my engineering class. My original plan was to get some arc shaped neodymium magnets, and use them to create a cylinder of magnets, which the pole alternating on each one, attached to the main shaft which would rotate them past the coils. But I was thinking, I could get just one big ring shaped magnet, and I've seen motors and such that use those. I'm just not sure how it would operate though. With my original idea, I know that the alternating poles would drag the current through, but I just don't know how it would work with one ring. Any idea?

crenn
03-04-2008, 08:38 PM
It will depend on how the magnetic field is setup within the ring.

DaJe
03-04-2008, 09:10 PM
It would seem that one flat side would be north and the other flat side would be south. Is it possible to use this to make a generator, or should I just stick to using multple magnets to form a ring?

crenn
03-04-2008, 10:34 PM
I'd say multiple small magnets would be a better idea.

DaJe
03-04-2008, 10:40 PM
Sounds good to me, I figured I might as well stick with my original plan. I knwo it's proven to work. Now I just need to decide what size they shall be.

crenn
03-05-2008, 05:04 AM
I'm slightly curious to how you'll be doing the motor.... you'll have to show a picture one time or a mechanical drawing!

DaJe
03-05-2008, 02:18 PM
I suppose I could start a worklog for it once I actually get it going.